Thursday, February 19, 2009

Change? What Change?

I was 13 years old when Roots hit the airwaves. We watched every night of the mini series and I remember how I felt each day when I went to school. I lived in a predominantly white area and I remember the pure hatred I felt for white people after watching Roots. To me, every white person represented those bastards in Roots. I didn't see the history. I didn't see how far we had come ... you know why? Because in 1977 it didn't feel like we had come very far at all. My brother was still beating up kids for using racial slurs against me. Now in 2009, it still doesn't feel like we've come very far and it makes me want to cry.

It was difficult for me to come to work today. Difficult to be cordial and deal with folks who are probably saying "What's the big deal?" about the cartoon in the Post. This whole thing has me pissed the F off. I can't stand this. I'm not saying I feel the same way I did 32 years ago after watching Roots but damn ... is this what the next four years is going to be like? I know the President is fair game, Lord knows Bush II gave us plenty of material over the last eight years but shouldn't we draw the line at blatant racism? Shouldn't we?

I was so proud to live in a country that would elect a Black president. Now I'm just pissed.

5 comments:

Bananas said...

Well I had my own take about this in the Cheap Seats. All I can say is unbeleivable.

Blu Jewel said...

Unfortunately, it IS believeable because for a country that made such a bold and progressive move, there are still plenty of people who don't like what happened. President Obama will be the root of many more attacks like this, which is sad, but it's something we're going to hear and see; maybe often.

Chele, I too, feel like we're still stuck in the Roots era in terms of how black people are regarded and even regard themselves. I do, truly hope that there WILL come a day when it does stop! I'm raising a bi-racial child and sometimes it's so hard not to have issues with her other race. *sigh*

Love to live; live to love!

Diva (in Demand) said...

I just got out of the car...listening to talk radio and the host said that for real change, people have to accept reality. White people are going to have to accept that there is such a thing as white privilege, black people have to take some responsibility for what goes on in our communities and what we accept, and hispanics have to respect the country and not expect to just come here and do whatever they please.

Exact quote.....I think it's applicable to how you're feeling today. I feel the same way after watching Rosewood.

TJ said...

Maybe the post thought they would get some free pub. The New Yorker did the same thing with the militant cartoon. I found it racist, but when people asked me I just told them why. It's getting kind of old to me, but it didn't raise my ire like I thought it would.

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

I don't know what pisses me off more...the cartoon itself, or everyone racing to say that they either a) can't stand Al Sharpton for bringing it to the forefront (he had every right to), or b) they don't see what's the big deal about a chimp.