Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy Ground Hog Day!

As a kid growing up in the northeast I really paid attention to Ground Hog day. By February 2nd, we had alreay had our fill of winter and I wanted to know how much longer I would have to endure it. I guess I've never really been a cold weather girl.

I have to choose a restaurant and a wine bar to review for this month. The wine bars are pretty scarce so that decision will be easy. But the restaurants ... choosing a place is going to be a pain, especially this month because of Valentine's Day. Who are the people that are crowding these restaurants for this holiday? Geez. We go out to eat so often, we try to stay out of the restaurants on that night.

I heard something in church yesterday that really had me thinking. We talk about living life to the fullest but how many mornings out of the week do you open your eyes and say something like, "Oh no, not another day!" Isn't that crazy? I do it all the time. I've got to work on changing that. After all, I wouldn't prefer the alternative. The fact that we can open our eyes and start another day is a blessing and I/we should treat it as such. Too many people didn't wake up this morning and I count myself lucky to be one of the ones that did.

So let's enjoy this Monday.

2 comments:

Believer said...

We're from the Northeast and my husband who is also a weather nut shared the explanation of Groundhog Day yesterday.

I quickly found out that I would rather live in a state with a heat index in the triple digits than have to endure snow, ice, and freezing weather. No thank you!

Valentine's is a big night for the restaurants and reserving a table might be a challenge. However, you could find a local eatery that's low key and tucked away.

I've been on a journey of cherishing the little things and it's made all the difference.

LadyLee said...

Man! I forgot it was Ground hog day! If it would've been a national holiday, then uh, I woulda remembered!

I am realizing that it I wake up in the morning in my right mind and the blood is still running warm through my veins then it's a good day. Period. Anything else is icing on the cake. And I'ma set my will to think that way, always.