Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The 5 Whys





I recently viewed a series on YouTube entitled Leaving Corporate America and one of the things the speaker touched on was the 5 Whys.

Basically, if you are really trying to get to the root of why your doing something ask yourself "why" at least 5 times, or as many times as you need to in order to get an answer.

So I asked myself, Why am I going back to school?

Because I constantly preach higher education to my kids as a component of a successful future, yet I have not followed my own advice.

Why?

Because once I dropped out of school I had to work in order to survive and I just felt like there was no time. Soon, I felt like there was no need. Now I feel differently.

Why?

Because I believe my lack of education has limited me.

Why?

Because I know I can get a job doing what I do anywhere I want because of my experience. But now I want to do something else.

Why?

Because I'm not living up to my full potential.

Summary: Why am I going back to school? So I can feel like I'm living up to my full potential and so I can stop living a limited life.

1 comment:

LadyLee said...

Wow. And you got me with the "But now I want to do something else."

That stopped me cold. I feel the same way.

I think this is a good idea. I will have to apply to some of my own situations.