Monday, May 13, 2013

Seven Weeks Out


Here I am, seven weeks away from stepping on a stage.  I’m not scared anymore but I am so ready to just get it done.  At posing practice this weekend, my trainer assessed my physique and said that I may need to increase my protein because he doesn’t want me “leaning out” too quickly.  In other words, my body is responding to my diet and exercise and he doesn’t want me getting on stage looking scrawny.  Sounds good to me.  More food always sounds good to me. 

A few weeks back all I could think about was what I was going to eat after the competition.  Now, not so much.  I’m really afraid to over indulge after so many weeks of being so careful.  I’m afraid the effect will not be satisfying at all.  I’ll probably have a few indulgences but for the most part I’ll just increase my portion sizes of the good stuff. 

One thing that I decided I want to make are oatmeal raisin cookies.  I’ve never made them before and I’ve been researching sugar free options and found this recipe:

Guilt-Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
1 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 cup mixed nuts, finely chopped (I used pecans, walnuts and almonds)
1 cup raisins
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In one bowl, combine rolled oats, coconut flakes, salt, cinnamon, allspice and chopped mixed nuts. Stir in raisins and set aside.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until smooth and all lumps are gone. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.

Using a round cookie cutter (or shape with your hands), spoon mixture into the cutter pressing firmly then removing the cutter. Shape should keep form; do this until you have 20 cookies or you run out of batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 to 20 minutes and enjoy!

I’m looking forward to trying it.
Two things really made me smile this week: (1) my son asked me how come it always looks like I’m flexing when I’m not and (2) I actually did unassisted pulls ups!  I have never even attempted a pull up before because I believed I was too weak.   Well, I jumped on the pull up bar over the weekend and first did 5, then 5 more then went to the gym and did 6 and then 6 more.  Honey hush!  I plan on having one of the kids record it for me so I have proof. 

Don’t ever let anyone tell you that hard work doesn’t pay off.

No comments: