Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Day 10 - 31 Day Reset

Today's exercise is to write a letter to your lizard brain.




Leadership and marketing guru Seth Godin describes the lizard brain this way:

We say we want one thing, then we do another. We say we want to be successful but we sabotage the job interview. We say we want a product to come to market, but we sandbag the shipping schedule. We say we want to be thin but we eat too much. We say we want to be smart but we skip class or don't read that book the boss lent us.

The contradictions never end. When someone shows up and acts without contradiction, we're amazed. When an athlete just does the sport, or when a writer just writes the words, we can't help but watch, astonished at the purity of their actions. Why is it so difficult to do what we say we're going to do?


The lizard brain.

Dear Lizard Brain,

I’ve been noticing you popping up at certain points in this challenge and in my life.  It seems like every time I want to do something for my own happiness and growth, you show up to tear me down.  For instance, when I initially made the decision to quit my job.  You showed up in the form of fear and self-doubt.  I have every intention of seeing it through but you are trying to get me to sabotage my success by worrying me about money and thoughts of lack.  Well, I'm the child of a King and with Him there is no lack.  I will continue to be strong and courageous (Joshua 1:9).

Another example was when I tried to change my life by leaving a poisonous relationship and you came along in the form of insecurity.  I knew I wanted to shift gears, but instead you told me that I couldn’t make it alone and that everyone would think I was some kind of flake that couldn’t hold on to a man. Well, it's been almost four years and I'm making it quite nicely thank you very much!

So I see what you’re doing and I don’t like it.  Yes, I know that you’re afraid of change.  You’re afraid of what will happen if I succeed.  But what you have to understand is that whatever happens in my life will work out for my good (Romans 8:28).  I was put here on earth for a purpose and you are keeping me from fulfilling that potential.

Well, until now, you have.

I will no longer allow you to stop my progress in living my ideal life.  So the next time I see you, I will simply give you a nod and go on about my business.

It’s been nice knowing you, but now it’s time that we part ways.  Deuces.

Sincerely,
Michele

No comments: