Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Second Time Around (Maybe)


So, a few years ago I decided I was going to run a half marathon.  I was so excited when I started the training.  It started relatively easy but with each week came additional miles and I was training in the Fall for a Winter race.  I hate cold weather.  The odds were stacked against me but I was determined that I could do it.  During my training I got up to 11 miles.  It was October 12, 2014:


 
Unfortunately, that was my last long run and I quit training and gave up on the idea of running the half marathon.  I woke up the morning of my next long run and I was tired and it was cold outside and at that moment I couldn't think of a reason to leave my warm house to run for two hours in the cold.  So I took off my shoes and got back in the bed.  I never really regretted it and whenever I talk about it I kind of make a joke out of it.  But lately, something has been nagging at me and I think I may want to give it another shot.

 
March 18, 2018

 
I don’t want to start this again and quit.  It’s about to be winter again which means cold weather training.  I think I need this challenge though.  Here’s what I’ll do:  I’ll quietly buy a new pair of running shoes and cold weather gear (hats, gloves, tights, etc.) and quietly start training this weekend.  Then … we’ll see.

The first time I made a big announcement and was getting all this moral support from my running community and that is all beautiful ... but I'm not the chick who gets motivated by other people.  It has to come from me.  I appreciate the support I truly do but when I quit my feeling of failure was only amplified because I did it in front of an audience. I don't know.  I hate the fact that I quit last time.

I can do this ... I know I can.

No comments: