Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Is Life Short or Very, Very Long?


It’s winter again and I’m fighting S.A.Dness as I do every year when the temperature drops.  This weather blows.  I cannot seem to get warm no matter what I do.  My skin is dry and I can’t reach my back to put lotion on it.  Yes, I’m whining.  Anyway, last night I logged onto the local news website to check the weather because everyone is talking about an approaching storm.  It seems like the forecast changes every hour … first it was a light dusting, then 2 inches, then 4-6 inches, then schools start closing.  Again, I say, this weather blows.  So, I log on to the website and the first thing I see is a picture of a familiar face.  I forgot all about the weather and clicked on the story associated with the picture. 


I read the story and was temporarily in shock.  I was at work at the gym at the time and for a few minutes I could not take my eyes off the computer monitor. One of my co-workers came up behind me and was like, “what happened?”.

What happened was that the school teacher in the story was also a patron of the gym.  I remember seeing her recently.  She would always come in with two other ladies and they would walk the pool.  Every time she came into the gym she was smiling and laughing and she always had a kind word.  I remember her so fondly because trust me, the nice ones are memorable.  A lot of these folks are rude as hell.

I sit at the Member Check-In desk and when members come in they swipe their membership card and hand it to me.  At the end of their workout, they just have to give me their last name, I hand them their card and they go on their merry way.  Simple, right?  I make an effort to remember a person’s name because let’s face it, the sweetest thing you can ever hear is your own name.  More times than not, I have the person’s card ready for them when they get to me.  It’s a little extra effort to remember hundreds of names but if it puts a smile on someone’s face to be greeted by their name, then why not?   Some of these folks, put their card on the counter when they see my hand out, some don’t speak, some come to me and complain about everything under the sun … just miserable for no reason.

I remember Ms. Hendrix because she wasn’t like that.  She was pleasant.  She was friendly.  And now she’s gone.

Why does a sudden death make you think more about life and how precious it is?  I know it sounds cliché but man, you just never know.  Today could be your last day here. 

When things like this happen people often say that life is short.  It’s short so you need to take advantage of every single moment that you are here.  Stop putting off that thing that you wanted to do.  Stop waiting to tell someone that you love them. Tomorrow really is not promised and at the end of your life you are less likely to regret the things you did and more likely to regret the things that you did not do.  Just saying.

At the same time, however, I have been known to say that life isn’t short at all.  Life can feel very, very long especially if things in your life aren’t going well.  Life can seem long if your miserable.  If you are in a job you hate or in a relationship that is toxic or if your shoes are too tight.  But you can fix those things … quit your job, dump that fool and change your shoes, girl.  Seriously. 

I feel terrible about Ms. Hendrix and hope that her family and friends will find comfort and peace during this time of mourning.  Please, if you know how to pray please pray for them and don’t waste one second of 2018.  The fact that you are here is a gift.  Take advantage of it.

No comments: