Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May Reflections


“I’m so happy I met you”

That’s what I said to my boyfriend last night when I called him.  Ten months ago, we had our first date and I never would have imagined a year ago that he would be in my future.  He’s a cool guy.  We had a discussion recently analyzing why we think we get along so well.  One of my theories was that we don’t place unrealistic expectations on each other.  I read somewhere a long time ago that “high expectations breed despair” and since I read it I’ve gone back and forth regarding how much I agree with the premise.  In this relationship and I think for most people in relationships, it rings true.  I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be any expectations.  After all, if you expect nothing than it is likely that is what you will get.  Nothing.  Obviously, we have certain expectations such as respect, loyalty and honesty but we stay away from things like, “I need to see you every day” or “date night is every Friday” or “we have to be engaged in a year”.  It’s too much pressure.  I know that for this time in my life, I need a certain amount of freedom and so does he and we respect each other in that regard.

I had no idea this time last year that I was about to meet someone that I really, truly liked.  And I do really, truly like him.

No comments: