Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Useful

I am not an eloquent speaker and I write the way I speak so I hope this comes out right.

Yesterday I received an email from one of my life group members and she was asking for prayer and assistance for her mentee. The young woman desperately needed some items for her infant. Right after work I went to the store and picked up a few things.

I don’t tell you this for praise or a pat on the back. I tell you this because what happened afterward kind of shook me. After I got back in my car I heard a voice say to me, “So what? You think you’re doing something? Anyone can spend money. What about your time? When was the last time you gave your time to someone in need?”

For several hours after that I kept repeating those words in my head. Was my form of giving not acceptable because it wasn’t a sacrifice? I felt horrible. I wanted to help because I pray that if my own daughter was in need and I wasn’t able to help her, that someone would be available to answer the call.

By the time I got to last night’s prayer meeting I was an emotional and spiritual wreck. Seriously, I do not have a problem writing a check. I’m not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination but I’m smart enough to know that all I have comes from God and He didn’t bless me to keep it all to myself. So I give. Remember the verse in Malachi 3 where God says that He will open the windows of Heaven and pour out a blessing that I won’t have room enough to receive? Well, I’m supposed to share the extra. The enemy had me believing yesterday that my giving didn’t mean anything.

While at the prayer meeting we were talking about how God wants to give each of us a new name. It doesn’t matter what we may think about ourselves, God wants to turn it all around and give us a new name. I was praying for God to tell me what my name was. I needed desperately to hear from him. In prayer He told me that my name is: Useful.

I am a useful part of the Kingdom. No matter what the enemy says. I may not be a mentor to young people and I could definitely increase my volunteerism. But when God leads me to give, I give and I don’t think twice. The enemy told me yesterday that “anyone can spend money”. Well, you know what? Maybe everyone can’t spend money. Some people give time. Some people give talent. Some people give finances. As long as it’s done to God’s glory and to further his Kingdom does it really matter?

I don’t think so.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

This was a good post, powerful in fact. The enemy tried to attack your emotions/mind and you fought your way out with prayer.

I had to have a sticky conversation with a manager today and was dreading it. But I read your blog post and prayed and remembered that fear is NOT of God. It was still hard, but went smoother than I thought and I am still standing lol. This blessed me today, thank you!

Remnants of U said...

I always struggle with that verse & interpret it as meaning time & talent. But then I hear a sermon them I'm back to money being the only option. Thank you...

Adrienne said...

EXCELLENT post!

Bunny said...

That devil is a sneaky sucka! Glad God spoke to you and let you know the devil is a lie!! Nothing but Blessings to you Chele!