Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Lessons Learned

Would you agree that our most valuable lessons come from the bad experiences that we have? I think about the job that I just left and while it wasn't a total bad experience there was definitely room for improvement. I could list a bunch of things but I won't. It's in the past.

It was because of those bad experiences that I was able to have a very clear picture of what I did not want in my next employment situation. When I interviewed for the job that I have now I had a complete list of questions regarding the corporate culture, travel requirements, performance evaluations and specific details regarding what was required of me. Recruiting experts say all the time that the job interview should be a two-way conversation. I have found that my most successful interviews took place when I wasn't pressed, or desperate for a job. I know what I bring to the table and I'm confident that any company would be lucky to have me.

This new experience is going to be very interesting. My supervisor is very competent and well respected at the firm. He's making my transition as smooth as possible. We have different views on how the workload should be attacked but I'll follow his lead for now. He wants to ease me into the proces, while I'm ready to dive in. I'm more of a "hit the ground running" kind of a girl. My patience is being tested. He's traveling tomorrow and is directing all of his emails and phone calls to me. One catch: he hasn't really shown me anything yet. Trial by fire for sure. I'm not worried. It'll all work out. It always does.

5 comments:

LadyLee said...

You can do it Chele!!

I do agree with that first sentence. I have had bad experiences throughout the year, and have learned the most from them. So true.

Shai said...

Yes! Amen! and ^5!
I was just dancing around the house at the lessons I learned and glad I did. Some hurt like pure hell. It feels GOOD. Wisdom is feels good.

TJ said...

That's a great attitude to have! Hope all goes well!

Hawa Bond said...

Wow. Directing all of his emails and phone calls??? Talk about trial by fire, but that's the best kind. You can really shine in those situations.

What kind of work do you do (what kind of firm)?

I wish you the very best.

Hawa, author of
Fackin Truth Blog (Personal Blog)
and
Cleanse Master Remix (Health Blog)

Believer said...

A segment on a radio broadcast about trials was ministering to me today. It went on about how important they are in our life and in faith. I concur; it's in the valleys I grow! I know, who doesn't enjoy the mountaintop experiences, but the lessons learned leave their mark and change us from within.

So glad all is well in your camp!