Monday, December 8, 2008

Weight a Minute!

I have never in my lifetime been concerned with my weight. Well, for a few years I was concerned that I was underweight. After I had my kids I lost all the baby weight and then some and the results were NOT cute. Trust me, I'm 5'7" and 115-120 lbs is NOT cute.

Folks blamed it on high metabolism. Some thought I had an eating disorder. I believe I figured out what the problem was with the help of my diligent (read: pain in the butt) boyfriend and a few doctors. It's a complicated story that involves an endoscopy and plummer vinson syndrome. As a result I finally began to gain weight and was looking more than cute.

Today, I think I exceeded my weight gain goal because I can no longer comfortably fit into any of my jeans. And the cute dresses that I bought during the summer ... not so cute. If the weight were only in my butt and boobs, that would be okay but it also gathered around my midsection. I actually look like a rectangle. What the heck is that about? I went to the doctor in October and I was up to 141. This is the most I've ever weighed, not including pregnancy.

No, I don't think I'm overweight but I don't want to shop for a whole new wardrobe. So, this weekend I did something that I have never done. While at the grocery store I purposely looked for products that said "less fat", "low fat" or "non-fat" on the label.

Oh the horror!

5 comments:

Remnants of U said...

I understand, because I had that problem (gaining weight) until about 3 years ago. Well, mine was literally my metabolism. I just couldn't gain weight.

I was just watching an ab excersize program. Yes, I said WATCHING I need to participate. I must find the right program.

But now same as you it's the midsection...don't want to lose the butt or the boobs. Got to figure out what is best for me to do.

Hawa Bond said...

Be careful of the low-fat food trap. Most of those foods are loaded with the biggest mid-section fat producer - refined carbohydrates (to makeup for the loss of taste related to removing the fat).

Whenever I really watch my refined carb intake (e.g. white bread, white pasta, food and drink additives like high fructose corn syrup), the first place I lose extra fat is in my midsection...

Hawa, author of
Fackin Truth Blog (Personal Blog)
and
Cleanse Master Remix (Health Blog)

lyre said...

141 5'7". not bad but I know what you mean especially if you are small framed. 135 isprobably a better weight, but keep inmind that as we age they want us to weigh a bit more. At 5'10"small frame I'd like to get down to 145 but they tell me because of my age (52) I should be 159. But good looking out. I agree with Hawa though. Add fruit and veggies and a walk a round the block before you get in the loCal trap.

Icey said...

Learn something new everyday. I have never heard of that syndrome. Like others have said be careful of the low fat trap! Often times the sodium content in those items are really high too.

Miz JJ said...

I'm sure you are still looking very good. Gotta co-sign with Icey. A lot of low fat food has a lot of sodium and sugar to make up for the lack of fat. I know people hate to hear it, but try cutting back (not eliminating) carbs, especially white flour. Instead of having a bagel for breakfast I now have two hard boiled eggs, two pieces of turkey bacon or sausage and a piece of fruit. Little things like that might help.