Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Looking Ahead

I began dreading my 30th birthday when I turned 26.
I began celebrating my 40th birthday when I turned 36.
I think about dinner wine at breakfast.
I think about bathing suits in the winter.
I've already booked my yearly birthday trip to Charlottesville. It's not until October.
I'm consumed with thoughts of my empty nest and my kids aren't even that close to leaving me.

sigh

I spend so much time looking ahead that I forget to enjoy what is going on right now. What is going on now?

I finally have a job that I enjoy. I work with people that I respect and that respect me.
I have two kids that are healthy and smart and make me smile everyday.
I am in a relationship that is real.
Even though I'm part of a corporate machine I am still able to indulge my creative side with the writing and singing.

I have a pretty good thing going on RIGHT NOW.

I found this quote in my 2009 calendar on January 8th and it sort of sums it all up:

Happy people know that regardless of what happened yesterday, last month, years ago--or what might happen later today, tomorrow, or next year--now is the only place where happiness can actually be found and experienced.

8 comments:

Diva (in Demand) said...

We're all guilty of attempting to live in the future. Being happy in the present takes work girl.

TJ said...

I guess that's why it's called the present, cause it's a gift. It sure takes time to learn that though.

Her Side said...

Excellent quote. I think I need to put that one on my calendar every month of the year. I may even use that as the foundation for a blog post on relationships.

lyre said...

I'm enjoying Pinot Noir in the right now! LOL I call it my "antioxidant"!

Single Ma said...

I'd like to think I'm a happy person, but I always find myself planning and looking forward to the future. Unless I'm in a deep self reflective mode (usually around my birthday), I rarely bask in the joy of RIGHT NOW. I should do that more often.

And I love that quote. I need to find a way to remind myself of it everyday.

Believer said...

Being content in the now has its rewards.

- Peace
- Joy
- More appreciative of the small things

LadyLee said...

That's an excellent quote. I am writing that one down and putting it in my smile (quote) box.

Blu Jewel said...

Cosigning what TJ said. In addition, we've got to slow down and appreciate what we have and where we are so we know that we're actually living and not just existing.

Take off your Nikes and put some flip flops on :-)

love to live; live to love!