Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Valentine's Day

When I was sixteen years old I gave my boyfriend at the time a pair of silk boxer shorts with hearts on them for Valentine's Day. I remember my girlfriend and I going shopping together and picking them out and thinking what a great idea it would be to give our boyfriends silk boxer shorts for Valentine's Day.

What an idiot.

If either of my teenaged children bought underwear for their boyfriend/girlfriend I would find that wildly inappropriate. I've officially turned into my mother.

I'm thinking about this weekend and I'm wondering what my guy has planned. If anything. He's working on Friday and I really don't want to be one of the many people waiting in line for a table on Saturday. I'm not going to be corny and say that with him everyday is Valentine's Day, because it's not. But we do go out together often, and we are beyond the stage of having to impress one another or anyone else. I'd rather avoid the crowd and maybe make him a nice dinner at home. Or maybe we can do a Valentine's lunch at my favorite restaurant. That's a thought.

Last year I went on an "alcohol fast" for the entire month of March and I'm thinking about doing it again this year. By the way, the wine tasting on Friday was a success. More misses than hits and I did remember to taste and not drink everything that was put in front of me. It was a good night.

I'm having issues with my girl-child and I can't help but wonder if this is karma rearing its ugly head. I was not a model teenager but the difference between me and my daughter is that I never got caught. I made sure that I did whatever I wanted to do within the confines of my mother's rules. I never came in the house late but I handled my business while I was out there. My child is either really dumb or she just doesn't give a damn. Either way, if she keeps this up the next three years are going to be very difficult ... for her.

Pray for her.

8 comments:

Bananas said...

When my Son was a teenager I used to pray for him to get to his twenties before I killed him.

No, I pray that he will get to his thirties before I kill him.

Mr.Slish said...

@ So this is what I have to look forward to with both my youngins..My lady's son is already started to show signs of assholish behavior..I've been able to counteract most of it but I think it will get worse once he hits highschool...

As for Valetines days my lady feels the same way you do...She doesn't to leave our newborn with anyone for a prolonged period of time so she she kinda wants to stay local.

lyre said...

Oh so she isn't a "princess" now? She's a "girl-child"? LOL Girl, I feel your pain. My daughter is KINDA coming around now. But the past 10 years were HECK! I told you "14" was a bad yesr. My "girl-child", now 25, still has me blocked from her myspace/facebook pages! HAHAHAHAHA

TJ said...

I'm gonna pray for her. LOLOL. My husband and I usually spend Valentine's Day at home too. We used to go out, but by the second or third year, we outgrew that long long long wait for a crowded table in a packed over capacity restaurant.

Blu Jewel said...

I've had a few dicey periods with lil lady when she was around 15, but fortunately for us, she's turned it around and is a fantastic teenager at almost 17. Feel free to email me if you need to vent...seriously! I will keep her in prayer for real because it's hard out there and some of these girls just aren't getting it.

As for Valentine's Day, I don't do that mess; though my ultra sweet and dear friend (The One That Got Away) called this morning and asked if I'd be his Valentine...I thought it was adorable.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a blast. I'll be in FL wylin out with my cousins.

Love to live; live to love!

Anonymous said...

The Valentine's Day lunch sounds great. I'm not fond of being in a herd of people waiting for a table on February 14th. I don't like crowds and I like good service. Enjoy your day Chele whatever you both have planned.

Bballmom said...

My husband has no appreciation for what I consider to be good food. Fine dining is lost on him. So, getting caught up in the crazy crowds of Valentines day is useless.

I'll probably make a nice diner at home for me, him and whicever teenager chooses to be home that night. Probabaly all 3.

Bunny Brown said...

Ooh teenagers are a mess aren't they? Praying for babygirl.