Friday, March 13, 2009

Jelly Belly

Lately, I've been obsessed with the state of my midsection. I'm a girl, sue me! I bought a 3-month membership at my sister's gym at the beginning of the month and I've set certain goals that are to be met by June 1st. If I reach them, then I'll keep the membership in order to maintain, if not ... I'm not spending another cent at the gym. I'm just going to buy bigger clothes.

Anyway, I read a few interesting things this morning from the YOU docs:
First of all they say that stress makes you fat. Well, it doesn't make me fat because when I'm stressed I CAN'T eat. I think the calories in wine have made me fat. Well, not fat but not where I used to be. Just to be clear, I'm not unhappy with the weight that I am. I tried for many years to gain weight now I just wish I could redistribute it. They also say this:

Blasting belly fat isn’t hard. If you’re not overweight but still have an oversized waist, the fastest way to shrink your omentum is by walking. Taking a brisk 30-minute walk each day will keep those fat cells from expanding. Pick up the pace some, walk a little longer, and you can give your omentum a makeover, turning a flabby apron of omental fat into sheer mesh again. After 30 days of walking, start doing resistance exercises as well to add muscle and lose inches -- otherwise you’ll hit a plateau.

I can do that with a few modifications. I won't walk outside because it's still cold out and I'm allergic so I take advantage of the treadmill and I usually jog for twenty minutes and then lift weights. I forgot to mention that with the membership I got three free appointments with a trainer. The first two visits were easy but the third visit, which was yesterday was a killer. I think this guy secretly hates women or something ... or maybe it just seemed so bad because I hadn't been inside a gym for about fourteen years. In any case, I am hurting this morning. My calves, thighs, biceps, triceps and chest. All of it. Which is how it's supposed to be I guess. When I was lifting on my own I stayed in a certain comfort zone which wasn't helping me at all.

Here's another interesting tidbit from the docs:

First, don’t rely on your scale. As you start to reduce risky belly fat, your weight may temporarily go up. So ditch the scale in favor of the tape measure. If you’re a woman, your waist should be 32.5 inches; if you’re a man, 35 inches. Creep past 37 inches for women or 40 for men, and the health dangers increase.

I don't have a scale at home so I don't rely on that anyway. I was recently weighed at my doctor's office and at the gym and both scales said the same thing. I do have a tape measure though. According to these guys my waist is just fine ... but they've never seen me naked.

I'm on a mission.

5 comments:

TJ said...

You can do it!!!

Remnants of U said...

I laughed that you are allergic to cold weather...Me too! Me too! But I guess I can only use cold as an excuse for so long. I really hate my middle too. I must start doing something lose my waist.

Good luck!

Rose said...

I like your haircut. Walking is good for so much. I need to walk to release this stress and weight. I know you can do. You have maintained for so long...

Blu Jewel said...

You can do it Chele! I know you'll be where you want to be in spite of your "cold allergy"...lol!

A few years ago, I was walking an hour 5 days a week and lost 12lbs, so I definitely agree that walking is your friend. I walk for about 20-25 mins each day at work and will continue it at home in the evenings. My waist is 29 and I plan to keep it that way.

love to live; live to love!

Blah Blah Blah said...

32.5...that's it?
I am indeed, in the vicinity of having some health dangers...wack.

You can do it...You have the desire...which goes far if you indulge it...lol