Five days without meat and I'm still going strong. One thing I noticed though is that in the beginning I thought I'd be really hungry, so I'd pack a big lunch when I come to work. Yesterday I brought a big salad, triscuits, string cheese, yogurt and a protein shake. Between 7:00 and 4:30 I couldn't eat all that stuff. Turns out I'm no more hungry now than I was before.
Anyway, I made this recipe last night and I really enjoyed it. The kids didn't touch it. I brought the leftovers in for lunch today.
Minestrone with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and White Beans
Adapted from Vegetarian Times Feb 2010 issue
(Vegan & Gluten Free)
1 Tbs olive oil
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
1 medium diced onion
2 sliced carrots
3 stalks sliced celery
6 cloves minced garlic
½ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
15-oz canned white beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
1. In a three-quart saucepan, heat your oil then put your dried herbs in to sizzle for about half a minute.
2. Add the carrots, and let them cook for a minute or two; then add the onion and celery. Cover and cook until the onion is translucent.
3. Throw in the minced garlic and let it sizzle for less than a minute. Add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more.
4. Add the beans, 4 cups of water, and a little salt and pepper.
5. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to about medium-low, and cook in a low simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Add the peas, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes more.
7. Stir in vinegar, then taste for seasonings. Add salt and pepper if needed.