Thursday, September 9, 2010

Defining Freedom

I saw Mama Kat's Writing Prompt - Define "freedom" and I knew this was right up my alley.



When I went to Charleston it was muy caliente so I was wearing short sleeves. My boss noticed my tattoo for the first time and said:



"Why 'freedom'? or is that between you and your arm?"








It wasn't something that I could explain to him but I'll try to explain it to you.

For me, freedom is embracing who you are and refusing to make any apologies. Freedom is when you stop pretending to be something that you are not in order to be accepted by other people. Freedom is looking in the mirror and absolutely loving who you see. Freedom is sleeping like a baby at night because you know that you were the best person that you could be that day. Freedom is knowing who you are.



Freedom is all that. Which is what I'm experiencing. Which is why I put it on my arm.

I am free.

6 comments:

Dawn K. said...

Well said -- I couldn't agree more! Visiting you from Mama Kat's!

Dawn
http://www.thewayiseethings.typepad.com

kt moxie said...

Beautiful post. And you have given one of the best rationales I've heard for getting a tattoo! (I'm not a big fan of needles...)

TJ said...

This is a great post!

Single Ma said...

That's a pretty tattoo. The design, colors, meaning behind it, etc. First time I've ever seen one that was all encompassing.

Anonymous said...

It was so perfect how you described freedom.
Sasha

P.S. Your kids are beautiful!

LBDDiaries said...

That is so true and how awesome you've reached a place some people never reach. Very good explanation - be yourself, love yourself, be true to yourself!