Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I Thought I Could ... Turns Out I Couldn't

I wanted to write something today but had no idea what. So I resorted to Mama Kat’s writing workshop for some help.


"How long until you realized you had no talent or patience for this? Tell the story (true or fiction) of trying to learn a new talent or hobby that you only pursued briefly."


A few years ago, I can’t exactly remember how many, I convinced myself that I could learn to play the piano. My mother plays and for some reason I believed that her talent would magically jump into my fingers.

I was singing in a band at the time and I thought it would be cool to also play keyboards. The guitarist in the band (and my boyfriend at the time) was enthusiastic about the idea and even suggested that I hook up with his mother who is a piano teacher. His enthusiasm also drove him to buy me this:







I was so excited and ready to learn something new. I bought a bunch of "teach yourself how to play" books. It was awesome. The boyfriend taught me different chords and sometimes we’d make stuff up with him on the guitar and me on the keyboard. I loved those moments. I felt creative and alive.

Then the excitement wore off. I realized that I had to actually practice for hours every day if I was ever going to be any good at this. Do you have any idea how boring practicing the scales is? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to memorize finger placement for different chords? Do you have any idea how many different ways one chord can be played? Do you????

My mother began taking lessons when she was five years old and continued for at least 15 years, probably more. I often asked her why she didn’t give any of her children lessons. She said that she was forced to learn and she didn’t want to force us. I really wish she would have. Because at my age, I’m just not disciplined enough to make this happen. I worked at it on and off for maybe a year. Then the keyboard just sat in my bedroom as a reminder of my lack of talent and discipline. Now, my poor keyboard is in the garage gathering dust.

** deep sigh **

At times I think about taking it out and giving it another shot.

5 comments:

TJ said...

I have a keyboard down in my family room right now. It was a gift for my husband, but I've been thinking about getting the kids into lessons, though. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I have on my things to learn...to learn to play a guitar...I wanted to play the blues...in the corner of my office sits this second hand guitar that I dust every 6 months :-) one day...haha

Empty Nester said...

My parents signed me up for lessons and I hated them. It was too hard--it didn't come naturally to me. But then, I could rock out on my clarinet...LOL I tried the piano again when our daughters were older and we got the key board. Mine isn't in the garage though. It's in the attic.

Unknown said...

I have an electric piano sitting in my office for the same reason. Well, sort of. I took piano for a couple of years as a child, but never really got into it. Had a mean teacher! Then a few years ago, my oldest daughter and I decided to take lessons. We bought the piano together and began. While I enjoyed it, I learned that I can play the notes, but not make the music. Know what I mean? Then my daughter passed away unexpectedly and I just can't bring myself to take up lessons again without her. But I keep the piano, hoping one day I'll be able to.

Helen Pigott said...

My next door neighbour sits in the front room for all to see teaching herself the keyboards with headphones on, kind of looks a little strange but I'm sure she is having fun!
Helen x
PS If you have a few minutes please pop by an say hello.