Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Interruptions

I’m starting a new Bible study at church entitled: Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted:



It’s a seven week class and we watch a video once a week while working through the workbook.




Last night was the first meeting and it has me so excited. When you think of your life being interrupted it makes you think of something annoying or bothersome. Come on, how many of you enjoy being interrupted?

Jonah’s life was interrupted when God told him to go to Ninevah. What did Jonah do? He was disobedient and ran away from God. Silly Jonah. You can’t run from God. You can try but it won’t work. That’s how Jonah ended up in the belly of the whale.

I’ve tried running from God. But if you have a relationship with Him he won’t allow you to run too far. I feel like right now I am in a period of interruption. I know God directed me to end my relationship early last year (He actually told me to leave a long time ago, but that’s another story). And that was a huge interruption. I mean, after almost seven years you fall into a routine and now that routine is gone. I’ve had to find ways to fill the hours of aloneness (not loneliness) that I was experiencing. God wanted something better for me and as long as I was disobedient and didn’t move I would never know what that “something better” was. God is charting a course that is taking me … somewhere. I know that every good and perfect gift comes from God so I know that wherever He is leading me it is certainly better than where I was.

I’m excited and overwhelmed. I know that my life is not my own, however the thought of that is overwhelming because if I’m not controlling everything I feel lost. I have faith that all things work together for good.

I’m meditating on the following verses from Psalms: My soul wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved (Psalms 62:5-6).

I'll probably do several posts over the next seven weeks about the study. Can you think of a time when your life was interrupted in a good or bad way?

6 comments:

TJ said...

There have been times when I thought I was moving in the right direction (it was really the right direction for me - but like you said, our lives are not our own) and God just made me do an about face. At times, it can be very uncomfortable, but it always works out.

cassandra crane said...

This was a very thought provoking post. Over the past 4 years, my life has been interrupted in several ways. The interruptions inevitably led to the feeling of restlessness, knowing that there was something else that I was suppose to be doing, for God. Eventually, I got the message loud and clear and now, here I am. My story is on my blog, www.soulfulsandstone.com.
Thanks for this post. Please keep up posted on the progression of the Bible study class.

Shell said...

Don't you just love this study? We are doing it at my church, too- this morning was our second session. :)

JustMoe said...

Please do post if all possible.

Im going through my interruption at this moment. Its an adjustment but I can defintely say that I am growing to be a better me.

I was hard headed and didnt want to listen and it took me to lose something dear to me in order for me to regain focus.

LadyLee said...

I like Priscilla Shrirer... Serenity and I are doing one of her studies right now. That chick is gifted beyond belief!

I've had life interruptions. One - when I was married, living in New Orleans. GEEZ, what an interruption that was.

I'm looking forward to your posts and thoughts. Because I know that study will definitely have you looking inward. Really.

Tarsha! said...

I'm going to have to find this workbook...Can't wait to read your postgs regarding!