Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Still Running

It amazes me that even when I hated running, I still couldn't stop doing it. People talk about the "runner's high" and it's definitely a real thing but I don't feel it until after the run is complete. During the run, all I can think about is when I can stop running. The actual act of running is not something that makes me smile. But I still get up four times a week, lace up my shoes and run. Lately, I've extended my runs to at least 30 minutes each. It's usually closer to 35 minutes and on Sundays I stay out for an hour. I have found that counting minutes instead of miles is more effective for me. Don't ask me why. I used to focus on speed, now I'm focusing on distance and endurance. I completed my first 5k in 35:03 and when I was done, I told myself that I would not run competitively again. Who needs it? I ran a second race on the 4th of July and my time was worse than the first race. Why? Because I didn't train for it. I figured, I did it once, I can do it again. Wrong! My next race is on the 20th and I really want to meet or beat my first race's time. We'll see. If I don't do it this time, I know there will always be another race. This running thing is interesting. I really do enjoy it because it's the easiest way for me to maintain my weight and I can do it anywhere. Now, if I can only incorporate some cross-training, I'd be golden.

1 comment:

Icey said...

So proud of you for sticking with it!