Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Wine Dinner

One of my favorite things in the world to do is to sit down to a good meal with good wine. If I’m being totally honest that is probably the one thing that I miss most about dating my ex-boyfriend. Enjoying good food was definitely a love that we shared. For the past year and a half it has not been something that I have done that often because I haven’t thought about it. There are no more “date nights” so my fine dining experiences have been few and far between.

So when I got the email from the Cobalt Grille announcing their August Wine Dinner, I said to myself, “Why not?”

My daughter asked me who I was going with and I told her no one and she raised an eyebrow. I had to explain to her that I will not stop doing the things that I love to do just because I have to do them alone. I felt the same way when I bought my house. At first I wondered if I could take on something so huge alone. And again I asked myself, “Why not?”

As I was leaving the house last night for the dinner my daughter says, “Maybe you’ll meet a nice eligible bachelor.” I just smiled. That’s not really how my life works. Eligible bachelors don’t seem to show up in the places where I like to go. Like $90 wine dinners.

When I arrived, what I already knew was confirmed. I was the only Black person there and maybe one of two people that were under the age of 55. Why is that?

Whatever. I still had a good time. I’ll do a full review over at Delicious! but here’s a brief overview:

If you’ve never been to a wine dinner it is exactly what the name implies. It’s an opportunity for a wine vendor to present wine and give suggestions on what to pair the wines with. We were presented a five course meal and each course came with a different wine. The plates were small but the glasses of wine were not. These were not tasting glasses, these were full pours. Could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Out of the five wines I really loved one of them (syrah), and really didn’t like two of them (chardonnay and cab). The other two were pretty good (sauvignon blanc and zinfandel). I am not a chardonnay drinker because it's just too acidic for me, but I was amazed at how palatable it was when served with fish.

First course: Seared scallops - Sauvignon Blanc
Second course: Pan fried branzini – Chardonnay
Third course: Wild mushroom and goat cheese tart – Syrah
Main course: Roasted beef filet – Cabernet Sauvignon
Dessert: Chocolate cheesecake - Zinfandel


1 comment:

TJ said...

I know how you feel with the only black person and only person of my age group thing. The menu looks awesome.