Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Best Thing I Ever Did

If you've been reading me for a while you know that I make sure that I take time out for myself. I will never have the complaint that I don't have enough time for myself because I make the time.

Over the years I have given myself trips, spa weekends, facials, good food, good wine, pretty clothes and awesome shoes. I don't withhold good things from myself. You should try it some time.

By far the best thing that I have ever done for myself was to purchase these:


I ran my 5 miles today and while on the trail there was a woman wearing a Batman headband and every time we passed each other she would smile, give me a thumbs up and tell me, "Keep it up!" I know her encouragement allowed me to complete those 5 miles. It was amazing.


I posted the above experience on FB and one of my friends told me that he was proud of me because of how I had taken control of myself with my running.


He was able to verbalize what I had not been able to. I am in control of myself.


Ten years ago when I got divorced I lost control and engaged in some very self-destructive behavior. In February 2010 I ended another long-term relationship and instead of being destructive I took control and made my life better. Running has made my life better.


So while all the pretty, girly stuff is nice and I will never stop pampering myself, lacing up those running shoes and sweating like crazy on Sunday morning is truly the best thing I will ever do for myself.


And when I got home, I registered for the Shamrock 8k.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

5 miles is awesome! There is so much a good run can cure!