Sunday, June 3, 2012

Exhaling

It was a perfect weekend.  It started with me passing the Humanities CLEP on Saturday morning.  I studied like a maniac and I was prepared but I still went in feeling nervous.  Passing this test was huge for me.  It's worth two classes, or nine credits and it's just a big leap forward for me.  Not only in my pursuit to reach my educational goals but also because I'm proving something to myself.  I'm proving that (and this is gonna sound weird) that I'm not just a pretty face.

I remember hearing Oprah say that one of her exes told her that her main problem was that she thought she was special.  That was a problem for me too.  In her case, she had something to back up that belief.  I, on the other hand, not so much.  Remember when you were younger and there was someone that you would look at, suck your teeth and roll your eyes and say, "She think she cute!"  That was me.  I was the one you were talking about.  When I finally realized that I actually wasn't special and that all the "cute" in the world wasn't going to do a thing for me, I decided to do something.

And here we are.

Passing this exam has made me even more determined to reach my goals.  I can do this.  My son told me this weekend that he was proud of me and that I inspire him.  I couldn't ask for anything else.

3 comments:

Diva (in Demand) said...

I am so excited for you Chele!

LadyLee said...

It is something else when your kids can look at you and recognize your accomplishments!

I'm proud of you too!

You're frickin' special, Ma!

Really though!

Good for you!!

TJ said...

Congrats, Chele, you are definitely special!!