Sunday, August 12, 2012

New Day

It’s Sunday morning and what makes this Sunday different from last Sunday is that today I am no longer raising a teenager. We dropped the Princess off at school yesterday and it was every bit as painful as I had imagined it would be. Imagine how I felt when I saw the football team posted up outside her dorm to assist with the move-in. I’m sure the University did not take the feelings of mothers in mind when they made that decision. I’m sure they thought it was a good thing. All I could think was that these young men were plotting to see which dumb freshmen they would target during the upcoming school year. And the worrying begins. While we were saying goodbye in the parking lot one of the last things I said between sobs was, “Be smarter than me”. And I meant that. The last thing I want for her is to be a 47-year old college student. After I returned home I realized from here on out my days and nights would be different and not necessarily in a bad way. I will be experiencing a sense of freedom that I have not experienced in eighteen years. The thought of that kind of makes me want to giggle.

4 comments:

Single Ma said...

:-)

Congrats! Here's to the beginning of the living for YOU! *cheers*

I'll be in your city Labor Day weekend. If you're available, I'd love to meet for dinner again.

TJ said...

Wow. What an amazing place to be! The athletes were "helping" folks move in when I went away to college, too. Smh.

Diva (in Demand) said...

Awwwww bless your heart. That being said I sure wish somebody's big overgrown son would have helped me move in back then!

Remnants of U said...

Oh! "Be smarter than me." I may have to use that one. Really good advice.