Thursday, March 21, 2013

Transitions and Expectations


Since I began this fitness journey and now my journey to the stage I have had to make a few unexpected transitions and I've had to adjust my expectations.  In October, I was working with 2 trainers in the gym that I've been a member of for the last few years.  In November, we had to switch to a new facility which wasn't really an issue because the new place is even closer to my house which is a bonus.  Recently, one of my trainers decided to move on to “greener pastures” so I only have the one – and he doesn't primarily work out of the convenient gym.  Suffice it to say, there has been a lot of shifting and moving and I've rolled with the punches because I really want this.  Then yesterday I encountered another bump in the road and I began to feel some kinda way and I decided to eat way too many pita chips.  I ended up having a heart-to-heart with myself and accepted the fact that my health and fitness is ultimately on ME and no one else.  No one is or will be as invested as I am.  Eventually, I will be training alone and I can’t get all caught up in my feelings because the trainer isn't as reliable as I want him to be.  But by the same token, as long as I’m paying him he needs to recognize that there are certain expectations (i.e. 3, 1-hour sessions a week until the end of June).  I’m flexible but I’m not stupid.  So I got up this morning and went to the gym and followed my routine (shoulders and triceps) for today and I killed it.  I’m going out of town this weekend and I've already made arrangements to visit  a Planet Fitness while I’m away so I won’t miss a workout.  I’m serious about mine.
I’m doing this for me.  I know my way around the weight room and I’m no longer a beginner.  Certainly not an expert but no longer a beginner.  I enjoy working with a trainer because when I want to lift heavier he is there to spot me.  I also appreciate the encouragement and guidance.  But I know that I can do this.  So I will continue to do me, work hard and expect the best for myself -- and no more emotional eating!


No comments: