Thursday, June 20, 2013

Competitive vs. Humble (The Struggle)

There's a fine line between being competitive and being humble.

In order for me to compete successfully I have to continually tell myself (essentially) how great I am.  I have to encourage myself and remind myself that I have worked hard and I deserve to be on that stage.  And on top of that, that I'm good enough to win.

At the same time, I don't ever want to come off as cocky or arrogant.  I don't want to appear like I think I'm better than people.  Because I know that I didn't get here by myself.

It's a balancing act.

I've taken a lot of pictures of myself over the last eight months, particularly in the last 16 weeks.  I don't post many of them here but I'm all over Instagram (@chelerene).  Not because I'm trying to brag but because (1) I'm documenting my progress and (2) I'm honestly hoping that I'm inspiring someone.  Seeing pictures of other competitors really inspires me and I hope to do the same thing for someone else.

I'm praying that God will give me a measure of humility that I've never had before.  I need to stay humble.  That's the only way that I'll ever enjoy true success.

So here's another picture.  Nine days away from the show.

This is what 48 looks like.



3 comments:

LadyLee said...

Well doggonit. I sure would like to look like 48. Heck, I wanna look like that at 43. Shoot.

In my book, you're humble and have humility when you are even mindful of your attitude, as you are here.

Cocky and arrogant folk can't even see what they truly are. Sigh. You are neither one of those.

Win that competition, gal!

Wanda J said...

You HAVE inspired someone. Just wanted you to know that. Thank you for it.

Maybe when I get a little farther along I'll be able to show pictures and perhaps pass that inspiration on, but not yet. I still feel too much shame that I allowed myself to get like this.

Thanks again.

Reggie said...

My 48 don't look like that. My six pack looks more like a 12 pack.