Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Letting Go




The best way to stay focused on the future is to let go of the past.  Or so I’m told.  I believe that valuable lessons can be learned from examining the past but the key is to not get caught up in that examination.  Look at it, evaluate it, make a determination and move on. 

I’ve read that there are three steps we must take in order to successfully let go of the past:  Acknowledgement, Affirmation and Absolution.

This weekend I’m letting go of clothing in my closet that no longer fits.

Right now the size range of clothes in my closet goes from 2 to 8.  I will never wear a size 8 again and I know this.  I have had several pieces altered and those same pieces are too big again.  Why am I holding on to this stuff?  My closet is full and because it’s full I can’t justify shopping.  So I have to get rid of the larger sizes – slacks, suits, dresses, blouses, skirts – all of it so I can move on.  Once it’s done I’ll probably have 2 pair of slacks, 3 skirts, 6 dresses, a few blouses and no suits.

Acknowledgement – I acknowledge that I am holding on to clothes that no longer fit me.  Every time I go to my closet I get depressed because I have nothing to wear that looks presentable.

Affirmation – I’m glad that I can get rid of these clothes.  It’s just another reminder of all the hard work that I’ve accomplished over the past year.  I’m healthier and happier and the current condition of my closet flies in the face of that.

Absolution – So I release myself from the attachment to these clothes, I give myself permission to toss them. 

No comments: