Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sometimes You Have to do the Thing

I’ll try just about anything once. Well, maybe not anything … you’ll never catch me jumping out of a plane, bungee jumping or running more than 5 miles at a time.  But over the years I have tried this or that, dabbled here and there and enjoyed doing it.  I used to think that this made me an indecisive flake.   Not so much anymore.  Now I truly believe that I had to try all these different things to know if they were a good fit for me.  Granted, some things you just know won’t fit and you don’t have to try it (i.e. skydiving) but for the most part, at least for me, I had to do the thing in order to know that I shouldn’t be doing the thing.

I don’t regret any of the experiences that I’ve had over the years.  They were all things that I had to do in order to get to the point where I am right now.  And for the record, right now, in this very moment, I am happier than I have ever been.  The path in front of me is going to be challenging but I’m ready. 

I often envy people who grab hold of what they want in life at an early age, make a plan and follow it through to completion, never getting distracted or deviating from the plan.  It must be nice to be that focused.  I wasn’t blessed in that way.  I want to be able to try a bunch of different things until I find that one thing or things that make my heart do back flips.  I mean, if I had caught the fitness bug 20 years ago and began competing then, I’d surely be a professional at this point and perhaps asking myself, “what happens now?”  I don’t know.  


The collage below is only a small snippet of the things that I’ve done over the years.  Things that interested me and I just had to pursue.  That’s one of the things that I like about me.  I won’t write another book or sing in front of an audience again and I probably won’t ever play the piano, but I had such a good time when those things were my focus.  At the end of my life I don’t want to be one of those people who say, “I wish I would have …”  I want to be able to say, “I’m so glad I did!”


1 comment:

LadyLee said...

"At the end of my life I don’t want to be one of those people who say, “I wish I would have …” I want to be able to say, “I’m so glad I did!”"

Now that's a quote of a lifetime right there.