Friday, November 29, 2013

Television Fast



After I come home from the gym in the morning, I turn on the television. I watch the news, weather and traffic and watch the first half hour of GMA.  When I get home from work I turn on the television and I usually watch reruns of old sitcoms that I used to enjoy.  Before I go to bed I watch television – again more reruns of old sitcoms.  I don’t watch a lot of original programming, in fact there are probably four television shows that I look forward to every week:  Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy.

I watch entirely too much television and I’m rediscovering what I’ve already known:  television is a complete time suck and I’m wasting away watching the lives of Meredith Grey, 


















Olivia Pope














Rick 

















and Jax Teller.  

Why?  None of those characters are going to help me move forward in my life.  I made the same (re)discovery with the blogs I read and the Youtube channels that I subscribe to.  I’ve already cut those lists way down.  I’m heading toward something and my daily activities have to reflect that.  If what I’m doing isn’t moving me closer to my goal than I really need to change what I’m doing. 

I know how productive I can actually be when I decide to turn off the boob tube and actually force myself to do something that is productive.  I can get so much done and I feel amazing afterward!  But I allow myself to get sucked in.  No more.  I’m frustrated and it has to stop. 


So here it is, for the month of December I’m going on a television fast and I will be measuring how much I can actually get done in 31 days.  I’m working on a major life transition and I can no longer leave anything to chance.  I have work to do. 




 

2 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Good for you! I need to do that as well. But I have to wait until after the Christmas movies run. LOL

LadyLee said...

As a british classmate once told me... "Television is chewing gum for the brain."

He is right indeed.