Sunday, November 23, 2014

I Admit It - I'm an Introvert - and that's OK!

I read this article and totally identified with the author.  People who are not introverted really don’t “get” us.  And that’s okay.  We seem standoffish, snobby, socially awkward and a host of other adjectives that really don’t do us justice.  We are who we are.

Being an introvert means I require a lot of “me” time.  Like, a lot. It doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy your company, I just enjoy my own much more.

Being an introvert means I will never call you just to chat.  I’m not a chatter.  If we haven’t spoken in forever and you come across my mind I may call to see if you’re okay.  Once I know you’re okay, I’m good and we don’t have to speak again for a while.  I still love you though.

Being an introvert means if you invite me to do something and I agree, it would be in your best interest not to cancel.  Commitments are important and mean something to me and I don’t accept invitations all willy-nilly.  Likewise, I don’t extend them all willy-nilly.

Being an introvert means I would much rather have a very small circle of close friends than a whole gaggle of acquaintances.

Being an introvert means I’m not a fan of participating in team sports, group chats, potluck dinners, or the meet-and-greet portion of the church service.  I participate in all of these things because I’m not rude, but it is difficult for me.


So yeah.  That’s what being an introvert means for me … I’m going to spend the rest of the day washing, deep conditioning and twisting my hair, doing my nails, cooking for the week, storyboarding some things for my business and catching up on some television -- all by myself – and that’s OK!  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is all me all the time.

Anonymous said...

And THIS is exactly why we are best friends. Love, love, love the crisp articulation of my life.
-mpo

Mike said...

Heh heh, you described me perfectly. I'm simply not a social animal like many people are. So I can relate to everything you said...