Monday, November 30, 2015

Humility and Gratefulness

4th of July weekend 1993 I got married for the second time.  I was 29, my son was 3 and my new husband had just turned 21. Minutes after we said our vows we packed up a U-haul and one car and left Connecticut heading to his duty station in Norfolk, Virginia.  This is where we lived:



It was a small, cheap two-bedroom apartment on the second floor in a questionable neighborhood – of course I wouldn’t find that out until later.  One of my first clues, however, was when I would come downstairs in the morning and find that a hubcap had been stolen off my car.  Then the next morning another one was gone, then finally a tire. 

My young husband was a sailor and spent a lot of time at sea so I was alone with my son in this neighborhood.  Keeping watch over my car.  Needless to say I do not have fond memories of that period of my life.  I hated that apartment.  I hated that we were broke.  I hated that he was always gone.  I hated everything about my life.  My 30th birthday was approaching and I felt myself sinking deeper and deeper into this weird depression. 

Sitting outside my old apartment today brought back so many of those memories.  It was important for me to visit that place today because currently things aren’t going as well as I would like.  I have to make a conscious choice every morning to be positive and look on the bright side.  As I sat looking at my old apartment these lyrics came to mind:

When I look back over my life
And I think things over
I can truly say that I’ve been blessed
I have a testimony

No, my current situation isn’t what I hoped for, but it certainly is better than how it used to be.  God is faithful.

I had a job interview today.  I interviewed for a job that I am clearly overqualified for but I want it because it is in the health and fitness industry.  I actually submitted my resume to five different companies over the last few days and today was the first interview.  I’m hopeful.

This is the verse I’m meditating on today:  Wait on the Lord, be of good courage and He will strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord!

We stayed in that apartment for 8 months and eventually moved to two other places, each one a little better than the previous one.  

After nine years, another baby and a divorce, I was signing the mortgage documents for my first home.   God is faithful.  He was there for me then and I know He is still here for me now.  I will wait on the Lord and as I wait He will strengthen my heart.


I can truly say that I’ve been blessed

No comments: