Wednesday, December 16, 2015

It's Never as Bad ...

Today I cancelled my gym membership.

I actually cancelled it about two months ago in my head but it took me that long to actually complete the paperwork.  In the meantime, I’m faithfully paying for a facility that I am not using.

What took me so long?  Frankly, I wanted to avoid an uncomfortable conversation.  I know how lame that is so spare me the admonishment.  I kick myself for taking so long.  Come to think of it, I have a history of staying in relationships longer than I should … but that’s a topic for another blog.

Anyway, back to the “uncomfortable conversation”.  I’m convinced that only women (i.e. ME) create these scenarios in their heads.  The owner of the gym was once my trainer and I considered him a friend.  So, in my mind cancelling my membership would be awkward.  Not so much.  I walked in, he greeted me and gave me a hug.  Since I wasn’t in workout clothes he assumed why I was there and said, “I figured as much … we hadn’t seen you in a while.”  That was it.  I filled out the paperwork and left.  I could have saved myself two months’ worth of fees and a bunch of anxiety had I just done this when I first had the idea to do it.

Oh well.  Live and learn.  Why did I cancel the membership?  Am I off the fitness kick?  Am I going back to being a couch potato eating fried chicken every week.  No!  Of course not.  This is a lifestyle, baby!  

It’s just that I have a perfectly equipped home gym that meets all my needs and I can use it any time of the day or night for free. 




And nothing beats free.  Not to mention the fact that I am constantly telling my clients that a gym membership is not necessarily needed in order to stay healthy and fit.  Time to practice what I preach.


While I was at it, I cancelled another rather costly subscription service that I no longer had any use for and I’m actively looking for other ways to cut the budget.  This is fun!



No comments: