Friday, January 8, 2016

Networking and The Books of 2016


Even though I have issues with the idea of networking I went to a networking breakfast this morning.  I know the organizer and she has one of these events every month.  I even had the opportunity to be a speaker one month.  The thought of getting up early on a Friday morning in order to go to this breakfast at 8:15 was not very appealing, however, the organizer is slowly becoming a friend of mine; she is attending my book signing tomorrow and I know that the only way to meet people is to show up.  I’m not going to meet people or be introduced to opportunities by staying in my house behind the safety of my keyboard.  So I went to the event.  My goal was to have a conversation with at least one person, remind the group of my book signing and then bounce.

I spoke to three people:  One was interested in knowing more about the book signing, the second was interested in hearing more about my online coaching program and the third wanted to speak to me about a job opportunity.

Needless to say, I’m happy that I went.  I believe the job opportunity will really materialize into something and it never would have happened had I stayed in the house this morning.  I should know more details next week.  God is faithful.

So, I plan on being intentional about reading more in 2016.  I used to read all the time.  I love books – not electronic books – books that I can hold in my hand and turn the pages.  There is nothing better than starting a new book.  I think all the drama of the past few years has kept me from just relaxing and reading.  That needs to change.  The goal is to read at least two books a month and I will probably start re-reading some of the many books that I already own and sprinkle in a new one every now and then.  J

I just finished my first book of the year:




Dr. Harris spoke at my church last weekend and he was so inspiring I had to buy the book. The 7 ways to flourish in your boundless potential are:  (1) have faith (2) have vision (3) get  education (4) be humble (5) believe there is a way when there is no way (6) connecting with the right people and (7) be honest.  I really enjoyed the book and recommend it.  



                                                


The next book that I’m going to (re) read is A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle.  It’s been a few years since I read this one but I know I enjoyed it when I did.


I’m also making my way through The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett– it may take me all year to finish this 971-page monster!  It was given to me as a gift many years ago and I never even opened it.  I’m on page 60 … wish me luck!                                                                                                   

Anyway, that’s it for today.  Have a great weekend!


No comments: