Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Balancing Act


The summer Functional Fitness class that I teach begins next Tuesday and I have been working to create 9 weeks of classes for the attendees:  9 women, 2 men and 2 people who I can’t tell by their names if they are men or women.  The oldest person in the class is 78 and the youngest is 41.  I’m guessing that I may start with 13 people but only half of them will be consistent over the course of the summer.  Some will show up on the first day and never return.  That is fine with me.  I love teaching this class and I always explain on the first day that I designed the class to help people gain strength.  Most people do not understand exactly what that means.  They’ll learn … they always do.  Here’s an example of one of the classes that I have planned:
 
  • 60-second plank
  • 15 Squat/Press
  • 15 Push Ups
  • 15 Walking Lunges (up and back)
  • 15 Renegade Rows
  • 30 Jumping Jacks
  • Run 200 meters
  • 3-4 Sets

 Not too bad.  They work at their own pace and they have about 40 minutes to complete the workout.

 I feel like I am adjusting well to my “new normal”.  Back in the corporate world full time and working fitness part time.  I’m loving the corporate gig and I’m committed to staying with fitness in some capacity.  Teaching fitness also keeps me motivated to stay fit.  So, there’s that.

 Being back in corporate feels different this time.  Maybe because I’m working for a small company.  My last company employed thousands of people all across the country and at first that was fine for me but after 7 years I realized it didn’t really matter if I was there or not.  My current company employs less than 60 people in 2 states.  It’s cozy and they have done everything possible to make sure that I am comfortable – and I am.  If I could just get them to stop bringing in donuts every day.  I suppose that’s a fight for another day.

I’m thinking about the days to come and wondering how many more adjustments I plan on making.  Back in 2008 I was sure that I would retire from the company that I had just joined.  Back in 1993 I was sure that the man I was marrying would be my husband until death parted us.  Well, nobody died and we have definitely parted.  What’s next?

I’ve never been a huge fan of change.  I like my routine and anxiety tries to creep in whenever I’m forced to make changes.  Or maybe I’m just lazy.  Either way, change is inevitable and I’m learning to just take a deep breath and embrace the changes and surprisingly, whenever I do this I can usually recognize why the change was necessary in the first place.   Make sense?  Sometimes I recognize it quickly and sometimes it takes a little bit of time.  Sometimes I recognize it quickly and ignore it – because of the laziness.  This fact seems to be most relevant when it comes to dating.  Historically, I’ve stayed in relationships way past their expiration dates … not because I was so in love … I just wasn’t ready to make a change.  That was pre-2016.  These days, however, I’m a lot a quicker to make that change and jump when I need to. 

This post seems to be going in a direction that I hadn’t planned for … much like a Family Guy episode … so I’ll just abruptly end it here. 

Major take-aways: (1) Life can be a balancing act (2) Learn to embrace change (3) I may be lazy.

 

No comments: