Thursday, October 19, 2017

Details and Results



Are you more detail-oriented or results-oriented?  Do you care how the clock was built or do you just want to know what time it is?

For the most part, I have considered myself a detail-oriented person.  At least that is how I describe myself on my resume and in interviews.  I like to make sure all the I’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed. Paying attention to details is a good quality to have in my profession.  Especially since I deal with multi-million-dollar contracts.  One small overlooked error could be detrimental. 

I’m the same way in relationships. I pay very close attention to what is said and how it compares to what is done.  Details are important.

I’m realizing that I’m not so detail-oriented in other areas though.  In fact, in some areas the details are getting on my last nerves.  I’m in the process of remodeling the two bathrooms in my home and I could care less about the details.  I did not want to shop for fixtures or tiles or lighting or toilets.  I don’t care.  I want to have a nice bathroom but I don’t care about the road to “nice”.  I agree that the bathrooms need to be updated.  This renovation will add to the value of the home and a nice upgrade always makes you feel better.  I used to have a regular bath night but I haven’t in years because my current bathroom is not conducive to low lights, soft music, bath salts and relaxation.  My current bathroom is perfect for quick hot showers.  My current bathroom is functional.  It needs an upgrade.  I just don’t want to be the person who has to make all the decision.  I would rather just write a check and be done with it. 

Oh, my goodness.  Am I a … man?
Anyway, the install is scheduled to begin on Monday.  The two vanities were delivered today.  Take a look at the old and the new.  Here’s what they look like:
 
After Guest Bathroom


 
Before Guest Bathroom
Before Master Bathroom
After Master Bathroom
 
 



 

 







I was told that all the white will make the bathroom look too sterile, like a hospital.  I don’t care.  I’ll splash some color with the accessories (i.e. soap holder, trash can, rugs, towels, etc.).  I think this lack of interest also has to do with the fact that this renovation will disrupt my schedule and I hate disruptions to my schedule.  Over the next few weeks I’ll be getting the light fixtures, faucets, a toilet and a mirror.  Why couldn’t all of this stuff have been delivered at the same time?  I ordered it at the same time from the same place.  I just want it to be done already.

Speaking of renovation, how did I get put in the charge of outfitting the gym space in my company’s new office space?  My company is currently leasing new office space to accommodate the growth that we have been experiencing lately.  For the past three months I have been working in a temporary office space because there was no room in our permanent office – hence the new space.  The new space is huge but we are doing a bit of construction to make the space “ours”.  The new space will have a gym and somehow, I got put in charge of deciding on how it should be outfitted.  In addition to that I was also chosen to head up the search for a janitorial company.  How any of these responsibilities fit into my job description is anyone’s guess.  That’s the reality of working for a small company – no true defined job description – everything is classified “other duties as assigned”.

Back to my bathrooms.  I know that I will love it once it is complete and this entire thing probably sounds like one huge complaint.  I’m aware that these are first-world problems.  But still …

I’m the girl who keeps things until they have to be replaced.  I don’t just replace things all willy-nilly.  I’ve driven cars until the engines have literally blown up.  I bought a new pair of flats this weekend because I noticed a tiny hole in the current pair.  If something still works then I’m gonna hang on to it.  I don’t understand people who replace their cars every two years.  My question always is, “what was wrong with the old car”?  Same thing with cell phones.  Just because a newer version is available doesn’t mean I have to run out and buy it.  I think I’m 3 versions behind on my current phone.

What about you?  Are you into details or results?

Should I have added more color to the bathroom?  Can I hire you for my next remodeling project?  I'm thinking about ripping up the carpet in the house and replacing it with hardwood ...

1 comment:

سيو بارتنرز said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.