Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Why I Still Work 2 Jobs


I, like many people have the privilege of working two jobs.  Unlike many other people I don’t work a second job for the money. 
Thirty years ago, I got a second job in order to buy a new car.  I worked full-time in an office doing secretarial work and in the evenings, I worked as a front desk clerk at a small motel in my hometown.  Four days a week, Tuesday thru Friday, I worked 16-hour days (8 hours on the day job and 8 hours on the night job).  I did this for about eight months until I saved up enough money for a down payment on a new Hyundai Excel.  I was single then with no kids and had no responsibilities other than my own.  I remember my work schedule being brutal and when Friday night came I would head to the grocery store to get my comfort food for the weekend and then hit the video store to get a bunch of movies.  I would then hibernate from Friday night until Monday morning, binging on food and movies trying to get some rest so I could do it all over again.  I remember it sucked but I did it and I bought my new car.  (Sidenote:  Shortly after I bought the car I was involved in a 5-car accident and the car was in the shop for repairs for several weeks).  Anyway,

Fast forward 30 thirty years and I am once again working two jobs.  If you’ve been around for a minute you know that in 2015 I quit my “good” job in order to pursue a career in fitness.  I worked for myself at first and then I picked up some part-time jobs at different gyms to make extra money because entrepreneurship was not profitable – at all.  Then at the end of 2016 I accepted the fact that doing what I love is awesome but not if it means being broke and I searched for a full-time job in the field that I left back in 2015.
Still with me?

In 2017 I started working full-time again.  I had one full-time job and 2 part-time jobs and I was no longer broke and I was able to continue doing what I love.  Midway through the year I gave up one of the part-time jobs and today I continue to work one part-time job in addition to my day job.

My son asked me why I don’t quit the part-time job.  After all, I don’t need the money.  The answer is simple:  I really enjoy the 2nd job.  I left the corporate world because I fell in love with fitness and even though it does not and will never pay my bills it is still something that I love.  I enjoy teaching people how to get fit and stay fit.  I love being able to encourage people and prove to them that they are stronger than they ever could have imagined.  I work 2 nights a week at the gym and alternating Saturdays (about 44 hours/month) and honestly this second job keeps me sane when my primary job wants to make me crazy.

There are days when I am exhausted (like today) and cannot wait for the day to end.  I’m careful to allow myself time to rest and recuperate.  I refuse to work too many hours for fear of getting burned out and I don’t want to begin to resent the work that I love so much.  I have the extra time, it’s an easy check and I’m doing something I enjoy.  There is no downside.  
I believe I’m able to work my 2 jobs with little effort because I’m not doing it out of necessity.  There really is no pressure.  Job 1 pays my bills and Job 2 feeds my soul.  I take each job very seriously and take pride in the work that I do – otherwise what would be the point?

No comments: