Friday, February 9, 2018

Someone Tell My Body That I Don't Get Sick!


I’m sick.  I never get sick and I am sick.  Like, knock my butt out can’t get up for days kind of sick.  It started sometime on Monday evening but since I never get sick I ignored the symptoms and refused to believe that anything was going on.  I was supposed to go running at 5am on Tuesday morning but my running partner cancelled because she was sick.  Even though I wasn’t feeling 100% I still would have met her if she wanted to go because I hate to cancel on people.  If I say I’m going to do something, I’m going to do it.  Anyway, she cancelled and I wasn’t even a little bit mad.  I slept late and went on to work.  By about noon on Tuesday, I was achy and feeling weak and I had the chills something terrible.  I was supposed to go to work on Tuesday night at the gym (where I would teach an exercise class) but I knew that was not happening.  I called out of work and at 5pm I went straight home and got in the bed and slept for almost 13 hours.  When I woke up on Wednesday, I felt as though I had been hit by a truck.  Not a pickup truck, a huge 18-wheeler.  My entire body ached and no matter what I did I could not get warm.  I called in sick to my day job.  I have never done that before.  My time off is always scheduled and planned.  Usually, if I’m staying home I have my laptop and I’m actually working from home.  Not this time.  I knew I’d probably stay home on Wednesday and I purposely left my laptop at the office.  I’m sick.  You know, I still received more than one phone call while I was out.  Maybe it’s just me … but I would never call someone at their home if they are out sick.  Another interesting thing happened:  after I called out a mass email to the entire company went out to “remind” us of the PTO (paid time off) policy.  Should I feel some kind of way?  Anyway, the policy was attached to the email for our convenience and said that if anyone is out sick for 3 days then a doctor’s note is required; failure to produce a doctor’s note could result in termination.  I was certainly sick but I was not going to haul myself to the doc-in-a-box in order to get a note for these people.  However, I also wasn’t well enough to go back to work on Thursday – I had been up all the previous night coughing and whatever bug that invaded my body had now taken up residence in my chest.  I had regained some of my energy and some of my appetite but I still wasn’t ready to go back.  Finally, Friday and it’s the third day.  I came into the office.  Because no note.  Looking like warmed up death.  Whatever was in my chest was breaking up and coming out of my nose so I’m sneezing and blowing my nose every three minutes.  Someone in upper management walked by my office mid-sneeze, looked at me and was like, “should you be here?”  No, actually I should NOT be here.  We had our monthly pot luck lunch today and obviously I didn’t bring anything because I’ve been sick and obviously I wasn’t going to congregate in the kitchen with everyone around all the food because I’m sick and obviously I’m not going to sit in the common area and eat with everyone because I AM SICK.

I know no one enjoys being sick.  I’m the first person to tell people who are sick that the best thing they can do is get enough rest and give your body the ability to heal.  Honestly, after two and half days of resting I was ready to leave my house even though I’m not completely healed.  When I leave this office today at 5pm I’m going home and back to bed. 

I’m miserable.  I’m sick.

No comments: