Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Messages

"Ms. Chele ~ I really appreciate the offer. However, I have also received two other offers and I guess I didn't realize how much I was worth! I would be happy to entertain your offer if you could increase the salary by $4,000."

Here's my problem with this ...

*During the interview, I asked this young interviewee what he was looking for as far as salary goes. I offered him exactly that.

*He should have researched the salary ranges for this position in our area before he sat down with me for an interview.

*The level of experience that he has does not warrant a $4,000 bump up.

*During the interview he was all about gaining more experience, now he's all about getting as much money as he can. I ain't mad at him.

Clearly, my enthusiasm during the interview, plus conversations he may have had with others regarding salary made him think he could back me into a corner. He's dealing with the wrong one but you have to admire that kid for trying.

I instructed the recruiter to relay this message: "We will not be able to increase the amount of our offer. It would probably be in your best interest to accept one of your other offers." He's going to let us know his decision sometime today. I really hope he does have other offers on the table but something tells me he doesn't. Something tells me he's full of shit. It would be difficult for a young man to bounce back from a bluff like that and have it go south. If it was a bluff I hope he doesn't allow pride to keep him from accepting the job I offered him. Last time I checked, they don't accept pride at the grocery store.

5 comments:

lyre said...

Now THAT is funny! He is probably going "Oh SHIZZLE!"
With a come back, "After exercising my conscious thought, I am happy to accept your offer! Be there Monday mornin'!"
BOY! YOU CAN'T OUT SHIZZLE THE SHIZZLER!
You go girl!
ROTFLMAO

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

If someone were offering him 4 grand more wouldn't he have just taken the money?

folks are really funny sometimes!

Blah Blah Blah said...

i dont do the counter offer game... i take what I like and know I can live with...but then...I am lazy.

YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

Love the wheeler dealer in him. Bless his heart for trying to make himself marketable, even though I seriously doubt he had others pursuing him.

"Welcome to Chic-Fil-A".

Believer said...

Great strategy on your part!

That wasn't his brightest move ever, but he'll learn. I'm not sure if the now deflated interviewee will take the offer though. Maybe he will and it's the beginning of his success story. It's anyone's guess!