Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How's About Some Cheese With That Whine?

The kids had appointments with the optometrist today. We thought the Prince may have some issues but he is doing just fine. The Princess has to get glasses. Why did she choose a pair of Coach frames that cost $213? Um, no … put those back and find something that I won’t kill you for when you lose or break them. Then she asked me how much my frames cost. I told her it didn’t matter because I have a job.

When we left the doc’s office and I was bringing her back to school I went into this rant: “I really don’t want to go to work. I want to drop you off at school, then go to the gym, go have a nice lunch, come home and clean up a little and then make us some dinner. Why can’t that be my life?” She said, “Because you have to take care of us.” True. True. That made me think of the time when my mother told me I was an accident. I hope my kids don’t think that if I could change things they wouldn’t be here. Never that. When I was 18 my mother told me that even though I wasn’t planned if she had to do it all over again and she knew I’d be the result, she wouldn’t change a thing. Awwwwww. I feel the same way about my youngins. They’re good kids. For the most part.

I just wish I had made better choices when I was a young woman. My main problems are that (1) I’m easily distracted and (2) I want things right away. I knew when I was in fifth grade that I wanted to be a writer. Combine the fact that I’m easily distracted with the other fact that I didn’t have anyone encouraging me to go in that direction and here I am. I’m not blaming anyone but myself. I’ve had many opportunities to do the things that I’ve wanted to do and I got distracted. Distracted by men. Distracted by money. Just distracted. Ugh!

It’s not too late. I know that. I’m finally moving in the right direction and I accept the fact that nothing happens overnight.

I’m reading Revolutionary Road.




I saw the movie trailer and at first I wanted to see it in the theater but decided to read the book first. I was really interested in the story and movies can be so disappointing. I’m about half way through and I’m really enjoying it. The story of this couple who are living an unsatisfying life is something I can relate to. Well, not totally unsatisfying … just … just … I don’t know. Tonight is date night and I would love to be sitting in a restaurant eating tapas. Instead, I’ll be making spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread and salad in my kitchen and putting in a DVD. And that’s okay because we always have spectacular date nights and there is nothing wrong with spending an evening at home with the one you love. The point is that we’re together. I just don’t like having to choose between new tires or dinner out.

I’m rambling.

The fact is everything is bugging me lately. I’m finding fault with just about everything which makes me sound like an ungrateful, spoiled child. I should probably stop watching the Travel Channel.

2 comments:

Blu Jewel said...

Aww Chele; hugs to you luvie! I've had some similar experiences with Lil Lady wanting things that I can't or won't afford for her. It's amazing how they want instead of need.

I saw Revolutionary Road and understood and enjoyed it. I plan to read the book to see what the movie left out.

I'm being actively courted right now and I actually thought about you and your date nights. I look forward to having my own.

And I don't think you're whinging at all. I think you're clearing your mind and making room for positive energy to circulate.

Love to live; live to love!

Hawa Bond said...

LOL @ watching the travel channel. I get that way when I watch the food channel. 'Why can't I travel to cool places with cool food or at least hire a personal chef?' hehe

On a more serious note, I agree with Blu. You aren't whining at all.

I often see "finding fault with life" an exercise in assessing life and adjusting for desired outcomes. From there, you create mindful opportunities.

====@====
Hawa, author of Fackin Truth Blog and Cleanse Master Remix