Monday, May 18, 2009

Guilt as a Motivator

It’s Friday night. My guy was working. My son was working and my daughter was out with her friends. I was alone, sitting on the couch and was trying to figure out where I could get a good cobb salad. Then I started to get perturbed. I eat well all week long and I began to feel resentful. I really, really wanted some buffalo wings. So I decided to knock out my grocery shopping on Friday night and while I was out I picked up some buffalo wings:



That’s right. I got ‘em, brought ‘em home and ate every last one of them. They were so good. Of course, immediately afterward I felt guilty as hell. So on Saturday morning I woke up naturally at 6:00 a.m. I made myself three scrambled eggs, toast and a large glass of orange juice with my iron supplements. I was at the gym by 7:10 and I did an hour of strength training and ab work. Then I did forty solid minutes on the treadmill. It was one of the best workouts ever. I felt great all day long. I like going to the gym in the morning as opposed to after work. When I go after work I’m always thinking about getting home so I can cook for the kids and I'm not fully focused on the workout.

Anyway, guilt is one heckuva motivator, ain’t it? I read an article over the weekend that suggested that I shouldn’t feel guilty. In fact, I should schedule one “cheat” meal a week so I won’t feel so resentful. Now, that’s a great idea!

When you just don’t care and you want to pig out, what is your food of choice?

7 comments:

ShellyShell said...

I like to eat wings sometimes but I find that if I want it I eat it! I go to the gym 5 days or more per week so I eat what the heck I want...lol! In moderation of course! But I usually save my splurge for drinks! hehehe! I'm such an alcoholic...lol!

LB said...

Hmmm...I don't really have a strict diet or anything, but I'll tear some Popeye's up in a heartbeat! Spicy chicken and red beans and a huge "RED" drink!

Blah Blah Blah said...

Ummm, you are implying I ever care...lol
I just eat, no guilt.
Might explain the belly over the top of my pants.

Blu Jewel said...

I don't have any one food that I "cheat" with; I just pig out on whatever it is I'm craving at that moment.

love to live; live to love!

Bunny Brown said...

Pizza and coming in a very, very, close second is Doritos.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, your Friday night scenario is mine exactly. I hit up a barbecue joint for extra-crispy wings and mild sauce and my daughter eats her favorite from another restaurant, and then it's off to Wal-Mart in the same shopping center. This is our weekly treat! :)

Rose said...

My cheat food is Steak Burgers from Steak and Shake and fries with cheeese sauce.