Sunday, September 26, 2010

WLC - 4th Sunday Weigh In (My Weight Story)



Yes!!!!!!!



Not only did I lose 2 lbs since my last weigh in but I've reached the goal that I set at the beginning of the challenge. There are still four days left and I have to be careful not to get cocky and lazy. I've already done my food shopping for next week so I'm confident everything will be okay. I've also incorporated the stability wall workout into my regular routine.

This has been an interesting month for me and I'm so glad that I participated in this challenge. I learned so much about my body and what's good for it and what's not. I honestly never really thought about it before.

For years my weight has been the topic of various conversations for one reason or another. I was always thin. Then I went to college and put on the "freshman 15" which filled me out a little bit but wasn't really an issue. By the time I was 25 and got pregnant with my son, I weighed a healthy 134. After giving birth I lost all the weight plus an additional 14 pounds without even trying. My mom was really worried about me and convinced that something was wrong. I just attributed it to my state of mind at the time: having my marriage annulled, being a single mother, working full-time ... I had a lot going on. She thought I couldn't afford to buy food so she went to the grocery store and filled up my cabinets. That was very thoughtful but I was eating and continued to eat but still didn't gain any weight.

Fast forward four years, I'm married and pregnant again and this time after giving birth, I lost all the pregnancy weight and went right back down to 120. People were calling me "skinny" and "stick figure" and my husband's family of "healthy" women were constantly giving me the side-eye o_O and offering me sandwiches.

It wasn't until I hit my forties that my metabolism began to slow down and I started to put on weight. Two years ago I noticed that I my comfortable size 6s weren't so comfortable anymore. I looked in the mirror and my shape was rectangular. I had to buy blouses that hid my mid-section. What heck was going on? All those years of not thinking about what I ate and not exercising were finally taking its toll. That was when I joined a gym and started this whole thing. At my heaviest I was 143 and I KNOW, I KNOW that isn't a lot of weight (so save your comments) but I didn't feel comfortable with it on me. 120 was way too little, but for me 143 was way too much. I'm happy at 135 and I believe this is where I'll stay.

1 comment:

Single Ma said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Your post brings up a good point. Regardless of what others think, you have to be comfortable with your own weight.

135 is also my goal weight, but not for the same reasons you mentioned. I chose that number as my goal simply because the "experts" say that is in the healthy range for my height. However, I don't know if I'll stop there for sure. I will see how I feel when I get there and adjust my goal if necessary. To me, party of being healthy also means feeling comfortable.