Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Looking Back

I posted this on FB this morning: If you can look back fondly … it means you’re over it.

This morning I spent some time on YouTube and pulled up a bunch of videos of songs that I used to sing during my rock star days. For the newcomers, I used to sing in a band with my ex-boyfriend. We broke up earlier this year. I stopped singing with him on regular basis more than a year ago.

Now that everyone’s caught up, I’ll continue.

Anyway, I spend a lot of time focusing on forgetting those things which are behind and focusing on what lies ahead because I’m pressing toward the mark for the prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus (Philipians 3:13-14).

I do this because I’m a firm believer that one cannot successfully move into their future if they are stuck in the past. I walked away from a lot when I left that relationship and I just wanted to forget all of it and leave it all behind.

But today I decided to take a look back. And when I did I smiled. I didn’t feel sad or lonely or melancholy or disappointed or angry or hurt or betrayed. I just smiled. Those were good times. I had fun being on stage and I enjoyed looking over at him and seeing him smile. That was a really fun time in my life. It was something that I am so glad I was able to experience. I don’t regret it but I also don’t miss it. I was a rock star for a season and now I’m on to something else.

I was able to look back and remember the good times and I still remained firmly in the present and I’m looking forward to my future.

9 comments:

PoetessWug said...

I learned something about you today that I didn't know! I didn't know you were a singer...or that you were in a band! I'm glad you're able to look back now with a smile though. Dr. Phil says that means you've really put it behind you. Here's to moving on...with a smile! :-)

TJ said...

What a great thing - to be able to look back without bitterness.

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

I have some things in my life like that too. They used to confuse me, but they don't have that hold over me any more.

Anonymous said...

You know Chele...there is a saying, "A wise person is wise because they use the past to guide them in the future"...and you can only do that if you look back and see what you liked and what you didn't like

LadyLee said...

I'm understanding something more and more as I get older: life ebbs and flows. Seasons change. And that's alright. Really it is.

Remnants of U said...

Oh looking forward to the next season, and being able to smile at those that have passed is such a good thing.

Shai said...

Ok, all these years reading this blog and being on Yahoo groups, I didn't know you sang. Wow!

Diva (in Demand) said...

I liked this post....I knew you sang....but I really liked the part about being able to look back and fondly remember.

Rose said...

Jeff I like that! I'm always looking back and smiling, even at the bad stuff. That to me is growth...