Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Monday Mid-Morning Movie Demographic

Ever been to a matinee at 10:30 on a Monday morning?

I hadn't either until yesterday.

I thought it would be a good idea to take a few days off after the race so I could decompress. I've been obsessed with this thing for more than two months. I haven't been able to think about anything else and I just really needed a few days to get my mind right.

Since my son is employed at the AMC 18 I am able to see movies free of charge Monday thru Thursday (without him) and on the weekends (with him). I didn't really think that I would talk advantage of it because when would I ever go see a movie during the week? As it turns out, the opportunity presented itself yesterday.

I went to see Bridesmaids at 10:30 on Monday morning and let me just say this: alot of the jokes you see in the previews did not make the film. It was still hilarious and gross and crude and touching and sentimental and I actually shed a tear at the end.

I love to people watch and it causes me to wonder about people's backstories. I'm fascinated by people. I had quite a bit to contemplate while watching the Monday mid-morning movie goers. Like, what is the deal with the "beautiful" couple to my right. They both appeared to spend a fair amount of time at the gym. He was older than her but not in a dirty old man kind of way. She was wearing a dress that would have been more suitable for a night club with cleavage and heels to match. They couldn't keep their hands off each other. If I had to guess, I'd say they were dating for less than a year.

There was another couple to my left who were pretty young and started out with a seat or two between them. I couldn't even tell that they were together. By the time the movie ended they were sitting next to each other.

Then in front of me was a row of stay-at-home moms. They talked non-stop through the coming attractions and I thought for sure I would have to kick someone's seat if they didn't shut up when the movie started. They seemed to be so excited to be out of the house and interacting with adults. They were already planning which movie they would all see next and who they would get to babysit all the kids.

Then there was me. Sitting alone in a movie theater contemplating my next move. What am I going to do next? I like having a goal that I'm working toward. Now that the race is complete and I'm feeling all types of good, what is next? I'm slightly fearful that if I don't keep occupied I'm going to slip back into a rut. I suppose I should have thought about the next thing while I was still working on the first thing.

Anywho, I got up and ran for the first time since the race. First time I ran without pressure. Felt pretty good.

3 comments:

Empty Nester said...

DD2 said she barely remembers the race---she had worked at her second job the night before (bartending) and didn't get home until 4:00 am she ran on no sleep. Ah, to be young again.

I cannot for the life of me go to a movie by myself. DD1 and 3 LOVE to go alone. I can't do it. I do enjoy people watching though...

I've starting adding a bit of running to my daily walking--I can't believe it but, so far, I actually like it.

ShellyShell said...

I ran the race too but not well. I used to live in DC so friends arranged for me to meet everyone at happy hour which turned into ALL NIGHT. I got back to my hotel after 4 and got up at 6:15. My girlfriends were hung over and nauseous. I've signed up for a few more 5k's in NYC where I will not be tempted to hang out the night before. I'm glad you did well.
Bridesmaids was a funny movie!

TJ said...

I think I'm going to go watch a daytime movie before the kids get out of school. Mmm hmm.