Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Overheard at the Kingdom

Princess: Ma, you know what’s worse than being hated?

Queen: What is worse than being hated?

Princess: Being ignored.

A lengthy discussion between the Princess and the Queen take place but is not being shared in order to protect the privacy of the Princess.

Princess: You can be so wise when you want to be.

Queen: Ya think?

I love my daughter. I have longed for the day when she felt comfortable enough to just start conversations with me about what is going on in her life. It took longer than I would have liked and I know that she doesn’t share everything but I’m getting more than I ever gave to my mother. Initially, the conversations with my daughter weren’t even conversations. They were lectures. I didn’t like it but I needed to say some things to her so she could never come back and say, “You never told me!” I have discovered that even during those times when I thought she wasn’t listening, she was listening. That’s why we, as parents, have got to keep talking. Honestly, I get sick of the sound of my own voice sometimes but I have to keep talking. I have to let her know that I am here and that I care.

I remember at the beginning of her junior year she told me that she was going to drop her Chemistry class because it was just going to be too hard. I told her that it would be a mistake to do that. I told her that she was not giving herself enough credit. I told her that she was smart enough to take the class and pass it but she needed to stop being so lazy. She didn’t say anything and I thought she would end up dropping the class anyway. She did not drop the class and she passed with a B. That’s my girl.

There were times when I thought I couldn’t do it. Raise a daughter, I mean. Karma is something real and I just felt all my teenaged tomfoolery was going to come back at me tenfold. We’ve had our moments and we’ll probably have a few more but I’m not worried. She’s a lovely girl with a big heart and I envy her ability to let go of trivial things and not hold grudges. Not sure where she gets that but I’m glad she has it.

This parenting journey is an interesting one. Probably the best thing I've ever done or will ever do in my entire life. I didn't think about these moments when I was pregnant or changing diapers or going to well-baby appointments. I thought those days were hard but they were actually a cake walk compared to raising teenagers. Definitely not for the weak.

3 comments:

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Sounds like you have a fine young lady on your hands, an din large part, that is due to YOU! Good job, Mama.

Luv said...

hey lady!!! seems like i have missed a lot during my extended stay away..i take it you met your financial goals... it's funny because my son talks to me and it makes me uncomfortable prob cuz i never talked to my parents about anything really and still as a grown person i don't...but i guess i should be happy that he wants to talk to me..and i also get tired of hearing myself talk..wondering if he is hearing any of it or tuned out like i used to be when my parents lectured...good to know that some of it does seap in.. and tell Princess congrats on the B!

TJ said...

She seems to have a great head on her shoulders. Raising teenagers is not for the faint of heart. I am just getting started and... whooo! LOL.