Thursday, September 8, 2011

Funny How Things Change

Every morning I wake up at 5:30 take a shower and then wake up my daughter at 6:00. She takes her shower and then proceeds to get dressed. Then she joins me in my bedroom where we proceed to do hair and makeup. Usually by 6:30 I'm finished and head downstairs to make my breakfast and pack my lunch for work. This morning I made her breakfast too. By 7:00 am we're ready to head out the door.

I remember a time when the only thing we would say to each other in the morning was "time to get up" and "have a good day". And both those statements came from me. I didn't want her in my room in the mornings and she didn't want to be there.

I was thinking this morning that this time next year, I'll probably be getting ready in the mornings without her. She'll be away at school and I'll be here. I think I'm really gonna miss that girl. It amazes me how our relationship has changed. I'm more patient and she's more open. I lecture less and she talks more. I trust her and she doesn't give me any reasons not to trust her.

It's a good thing ... but still.

**sigh**

4 comments:

Mom said...

Sounds like a pretty good relationship to me. Enjoy it and thank God for it. Many mothers are not so blessed.

LadyLee said...

Wow! She ready for college already!? Why do I think of her as still being 12? WOW!

Funny how things change indeed!

TJ said...

I'm glad you guys are getting along. I'm at the point where I don't weep uncontrollably when I think of the day in a little less than four years when my son goes off to college. I've made progress. Sigh.

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Aww, I bet she'll miss it too! Great post.