Friday, October 7, 2011

Connecting the Dots





I just viewed Steve Jobs’ 2005 commencement speech and the one thing that stood out for me was when he said that connecting the dots can only happen by looking back. We don’t fully understand why the things in our lives happen the way they do until we look back on them and that’s when we have the big A-ha moment.

I definitely believe that everything happens for a reason. I accept the fact that I won’t always understand the reason and in some cases I may never even know what the reason is. But there’s a purpose for everything.

In ten days I’ll be celebrating my 47th birthday and as I often do I take a look back and try to add perspective to past events. It’s an exercise in speculation at best because I really don’t have any answers.

I don’t know why I had to be married and divorced twice by age 36. I do know that if I hadn’t had those marriages I wouldn’t have the awesome children that I have.

I don’t know how in the world I ended up in the profession that I currently have. I do know that without it I wouldn’t be able to provide for my family in the manner that I do.

I don’t know why I decided to write a book and then had no real desire to ever write another one. What is that about?

I don’t know why I blog, make videos, sell books online or do restaurant reviews (other than the fact that I love all these activities) but I have a feeling that in the future I’ll be able to connect all those dots. I have faith that everything will fall into place exactly the way that it should be.

1 comment:

Tarsha R said...

Truth!

I was just having a similar conversation with my oldest daughter this week. She was feeling bad about some past decisions and couldnt get over the 'shoulda coulda woulda' thing.

I told her to write down all of the things she thinks she regrets and find the lesson; don't look at how ugly the situation or person may have been but extract the positive, even if it is just "I learned I don't have patience with dumb people' lolol. She called me over the weekend and said that little lesson was VERY helpful to her

I need to take my own advice!