Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Reps, Sets and Diet


During contest prep it seems the only thing that is on my mind (and most competitors) is exercise and diet.  Every single day … exercise and diet.  One day looks pretty much like any other day.  I used to dread Mondays but not so much anymore – it’s the same as any other day.  Same thing with the weekends.  They are all pretty much the same with a little tweak here and there.  A typical week for me looks like this:

Sunday:  Back workout, cardio, shampoo, nails, food prep
Monday:  Arm workout, cardio
Tuesday:  Shoulder workout, Life Group meeting
Wednesday: Hamstring and calf workout, Finance class
 
Thursday: Quad workout, cardio, work from home, more food prep
Friday: Cardio, Chest and Tricep workout
Saturday: Cardio, posing practice, church
I’m used to the workouts but I’m in a conditioning phase right now and I have to do 15 reps of everything with the same (heavy) weight that I used for 10-12 reps. Three to four sets of each exercise. I’m getting stronger which is a good thing, but I’m telling you … 15 reps is no joke.
I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself after the competition.  It’ll be the week of 4th of July so I’m taking a week off from work and will probably go to the beach every day.

My diet continues to be a challenge.  Most days I can do the chicken breast and broccoli or sweet potato all day without an issue.  But for some reason, yesterday it just left me wanting.  So I ended up getting a small bag of baked Lays barbecue chips and an extra Clif bar.  I really enjoy the thought of competing but if the dieting part is just going to make me miserable than I don’t see myself doing it again after this.  I don’t want the process to be something I dread.  I want to be able to enjoy this.
I switched up my meals for today so hopefully I’ll feel better:

Meal 1 – ½ cup oatmeal with 4 blackberries
 
Meal 2- 4 egg whites, protein shake, apple
Meal 3 – Spinach arugula salad with 4 oz chicken breast, crumbled blue cheese, blackberries and crushed pecans
Meal 4 -4 oz chicken breast and ½ cup steamed broccoli
Meal 5 – Nutrition by Design  (I have these on nights that I have school)
 

 
Meal 6 – ½ cup of Frozen Greek yogurt (maybe)
We’ll see how it goes.

No comments: