Friday, June 27, 2014

Who Are You Leaning On?


One reason why God allows us at times to be disappointed with our fellow human beings is so that we might learn to stop leaning on man. He desires to free us from such idolatry (for it is a form of idolatry to depend on man), so that we might learn to lean wholly upon Him alone. And so when God orders your circumstances in such a way that you are disappointed on every side, that shouldn’t discourage you. It is just God weaning you away from the arm of flesh so that you might learn to live by faith in Him. Learn to find your security in the fact that God loves you as He loved Jesus.

I took the above quote from a devotional that I recently read and it struck me.  I love getting new revelations and having the opportunity to see things in a slightly different way.
I consider myself to be a good friend.  I’m loyal.  I’m trustworthy.  I’m discrete.  I won’t tell your business.  Ironically, though I don’t have many friends.  I think the reason for that is that I hold people to a very high standard.  Maybe too high.  I don’t leave a lot of room for mistakes.  I expect people to be as good a friend to me as I am to them.  That’s not really fair, I suppose.  If a person hurts me, there is very little chance that they will be given an opportunity to do it again – because they’ve been unceremoniously cut off.  Hurt me once, shame on you.  Hurt me twice – oh yeah, there won’t be a twice.

After reading the devotional I started thinking and came to the conclusion that if I didn’t place such a heavy burden on those around me (not to disappoint me) then when disappointment comes (and it will come) I won’t be so discouraged.  People are people.  They make mistakes.  I make mistakes and if God treated me the way I treated people for making mistakes, where would I be?
It is not anyone’s job to fulfill me or make me happy.  I can’t lean on other people for that.  God wants me to lean on Him and Him alone. 

There is a challenge that comes with this belief though.  Because I don’t think that God wants us to walk the earth all alone.  I believe He wants us to be in relationships with other people but we are not to place unreasonable expectations on those that we are in relationships with.  Does that make sense?
Anyway, just something to think about.  Have a good weekend.  I’m finishing up my June 100-mile challenge tomorrow and then I’m going to the beach!

1 comment:

LadyLee said...

That is a very good devotional quote. It definitely makes one examine their reliance on God. I think that is something we work on until the day we die. For myself, I have a tendency to ebb and flow in that area. There's always room for growth, and that devotional gets to the core of it.

I don't think it's the quantity of friends, but the quality of friends that I have that means much to me. And my biggest thing is that I don't like to deal with messy or dramatic people. I can smell drama a mile away. You got drama issues with everybody, then you will eventually have drama with me. That's my litmus test. That causes me to walk off and disappear.

And I tend to be a loner. And those who have known me long term, and know the total "arc" of me, understand and appreciate that.

You're my friend in my head, Chele. Just so you know. LOL.