Thursday, April 21, 2016

Food Wine and Countryside

My passport expires next year. I would like to travel to Italy before that happens. 

I don’t actually remember when I fell in love with the idea of visiting Italy.  It may have been after I read Eat Pray Love or maybe it was after I watched Under the Tuscan Sun for the 12th time.  Not to mention the fact that my favorite food on the planet is Italian food.  I cannot shake the desire to see Italy.  Particularly Florence and Tuscany.

I think about it all the time.

I am a solo traveler so I would prefer to find some type of multi-day package (at least 8 days) that consists of a small group tour with a guide and a daily itinerary that includes a couple days of free time where I can just explore on my own.

When I think of visiting Italy I imagine beautiful landscapes, stunning architecture, delicious food and wine that flows and flows.  A vacation that does not include calorie counting of any kind.  For some reason, I don’t think a short vacation is enough time to really enjoy Italy.  Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat Pray Love) stayed for three months and Frances Mayes (Under the Tuscan Sun) bought, renovated and lived in an abandoned villa in Cortana Tuscany.

Here’s what I see when I think of visiting Italy:


















I don’t know if I’ll make it before next year.  I suppose I’ll just have to renew my passport.

**If you've been to Italy -- please tell me ALL about it in the comments**

2 comments:

lyre said...

I have been to Rome. Amazing walking streets the ancients have walked. Standing in the Colosseum where Gladiators and the early Christians lost their lives. Visiting Vatican City and seeing the Sistine Chapel up close. Ancient ruins everywhere. Italian eateries everywhere. I have not been to Florence or Venice, but when you plan your trip, let me know so I can come too if you organize a group.

Jennifer said...

I've been to Rome and it was amazing, I needed a few more days to explore and see more! The people were friendly and helpful with a non-Italian speaker. Milan... people were not as friendly, didn't enjoy as much overall.
I have used Gate 1 Travel for a multicity tour of Peru, they do a great job and you can have personal time if you want to not do some of the optional day tours. What I wish I had known... I could've paid a lot less for my Peru trip if I had bought it on Groupon! Check it out...