Monday, May 14, 2018

Race Day x 2


Mission accomplished.  I set out to do two races in one day and I did just that. 

The day started at the CHKD Run/Walk for the Kids in Downtown Norfolk.  I arrived early enough to get a good parking space and to meet up with the BGR fam for a pic prior to the run.



It was already 70 degrees at 6am and I knew this run would be challenging.  I’m just getting used to running in the heat again.  I still prefer this to wearing 2-3 layers of clothing.  Anyway, my pace was (as expected) faster than usual.  I completed the first mile in 9.5 minutes and I finished the race in 49 minutes.  Not a PR but still impressive especially since I finished 3rd in my age group.
 
Once this race was completed I didn’t waste any time getting back to my car and I headed to Virginia Beach for the Breathe Easy 5k.  Registration opened at 8:30 and the race was set to begin at 9:40. I arrived at the park before 8:45, picked up my bib and was ready.  I had plenty of time so I sipped on water and sat in my car until about 9:20.  By this time, it was getting really hot outside and I had to take my shirt off and run in a sports bra.  This race was a lot smaller in comparison to the first.  Three miles around Mt. Trashmore is something I’m used to doing so I knew I wouldn’t have an issue, but the heat was definitely a factor.  I did end up walking a portion of the race, but I still managed to place 1st in my age group.  I’m still not sure how that happened.   
The day was amazing.  The first time I ran two races in one day.  It was a great way to kick off my Mother’s Day weekend. 
 

1 comment: