Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Day 333

Closing in on 11 months.  Yesterday two “interesting” things happened.  Interesting to me, at least.

First, a friend that I haven’t spoken to in probably a year called out of the blue.  Honestly, I contemplated sending her to voicemail.  Nothing against her, she’s a lovely person but I’m just not a fan of talking on the phone.  As a rule, I roll my eyes when my phone rings.  I should probably stop that.  Anywho, I decided to take the call and she told me that I had been on her mind for several days and she just thought she should check in.  I used to be her personal trainer and she recently went back to the gym so she thought about me.  She moved recently and was unpacking boxes and found my book and she thought about me.  She finally decided that there was a reason why I kept coming to mind and she decided to call.  I love that.  I’ve done that before.  Sometimes a person keeps appearing in my mind and I am compelled to hear their voice.  It was nice to catch up with her.  She had gone through some health issues and other traumatic events and after we spoke, I just prayed for her.

Secondly, after work I had to make a quick stop at the grocery store and this guy stopped me and asked if I was single and when I said “yes” he asked if we could talk and get to know each other.  That has happened to me a few times in this very grocery store but not in several years.  It was flattering.  His shopping cart looked like he was either shopping for a family of 10 or he was an insta-cart shopper.  It was weird.  He appeared to be at least 10+ years younger than me.  I should have pointed that out during the conversation in the store instead of exchanging phone numbers with him.  It would have saved me an evening of anxiously looking at my phone waiting for a call/text that would never come.  What is wrong with me?  I have no desire to date or be in a relationship, but like I said, I was flattered.  Realistically, I cannot even imagine how that conversation would have gone.  

Everything happens for a reason.  I cannot for the life of me tell you what that reason is but perhaps it will be revealed at a later date.

In any case, I had a good night’s sleep.  I got up at 4AM and went to the gym as usual and now I’m at work celebrating 333 days of alcohol freedom. 

I saw a meme a while ago that was essentially bashing people who say they are sober, and yet they drink kombucha.  I was like “what the hell?”.  What’s wrong with kombucha?  There is a lot of judgement in these various communities, and it gets on my nerves.  It reminds me of when I first decided to big chop and go natural.  “Natural” was defined in so many different ways and again, there was judgement if you didn’t fit into a certain box.  Can we all just stop judging each other and allow people to live their lives in a way that makes them happy and doesn’t hurt anybody else?

That’s what I’m thinking about on Day 333.

Currently reading:  A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore

 

 

No comments: